Switching To frozen Thawed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching To frozen Thawed

Im extremly worried about buying tons of rats from rodent pro .com and then have rico not switch over to frozen.He has been eating live untill now and he is only 2 feet he has been switching over to everything really well he likes to eat a lot. he didnt even think twice about switching over to rats but do you think I should buy a frozen rat see if he switches over to them before buying loads of them?
    Last edited by redtailrico7; 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM. Reason: spelled title wrong

Re: Switching To frozen Thawed

should i worry

Comment

Even if it takes a while to switch rico over to f/t, he will eventually eat it. I heard from someone on here that a boa can go 4 weeks without food. If you keep offering him f/t he should eventually get hungry enough to eat them. I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.

Comment

i really want to get rico over to f/t because i know its healthier and safer and the breeder i got him from fed him pre killed so hopefully he'll go back quick again hes not to picky of a eater

Comment

so should i worry or go ahead and place my order and pre weanling rats are the same as rat pups right?

Comment

Any help is very apeciated

Comment

I would go ahead and place the order. As for the size difference. I think a large pup is about equal to a small weanling rat. It all depends on where you get them from though.

Comment

im going to get it from rodent pro.com

Comment

On rodentpro there is a difference. The rat pups are a little smaller. A small weanling is the size of a large rat pup.

Comment

Don't worry man. If your boa wont eat it all you have to do is move the thawed rat with a pencil. Give it a few shakes and the snake will then attack it. That way your boa still gets to think its hunting, if it even cares, and it cant get hurt.

Comment

ok so ill place my order and ill hav em by next week wed thanx guys

Comment

ok last question rico is 2 feet wat size should i order?

Comment

Look at the rat compared to a dollar or whatever they use on the site. Then compare ricos mid section to the dollar and get the one that matches closest.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima_Boa
                            Don't worry man. If your boa wont eat it all you have to do is move the thawed rat with a pencil. Give it a few shakes and the snake will then attack it. That way your boa still gets to think its hunting, if it even cares, and it cant get hurt.
                            I was going to say the same thing until my computer crashed earlier this evening. You can even use tongs to wiggle the prey. They bash right into it. If that doesn't work. Take the snake out of it's cage. Place the rat into it's cage. After your handling session is done put the snake back into the cage and leave overnite. Some Boa's prefer to eat at nite w/ the lites off. A lot of snakes are noctural and Boa's definatly seem to be more active at nite.

But unless you have a wild caught snake you should be able to get that snake to eat f/t no prob.

-Ian

Comment

the great part about boas is that even if it is a WC you can still get it to eat FT prey, it just might take a month or so. it is much more stressfull on the boas owner than the boa to switch to FT. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X