Water.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] Water.

My question is directed at those who have collections of more than say five snakes or reptiles etc... What do you do about water? Specifically not giving them tap water with all the added chemicals. I've been using boiled bottled water but it's getting a little silly and I can't think of anything else short of building my own charcoal filtering unit. Any suggestions?

Re: Water.

I have good ol' fashioned well water. My snakes drink what my family drinks. That was the same as when I lived in town on city water too.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

i just use tap water

Comment

you could get a filter. just one of the filters that people fill up and put in the refrigerator is fine.

Comment

I fill milk jugs and set them in the sun for a day.

Comment

I use water jugs as well. Fill them after every water changing day, then let them sit for 2 days before using it. I have 6 jugs and a "spare" in case of emergency spillage! :P

Comment

16 years of using good 'ol tap water . I'm pro-chemical , lol

Comment

I just use tap water for all my snakes and over 130 tarantulas. Never had an issue, but I know that some areas tap water would probably cause a concern. Some water in different areas of the country contain more chemicals and minerals such as iron or lead. Know your water first. More than likely it should be safe but if you notice it has more of a chemical or mineral taste than it should, has been known to stain or damage clothes when you do laundry, or it has been known to include an abundance of pollutants then I wouldn't use it. At my brother's house the water coming from the water company is terrible. He has a filtration system in place but without filtration it would damage clothes in the washer and taste horrible due to high content of iron and other minerals.

Comment

Originally posted by JLTerry View Post
                  I just use tap water for all my snakes and over 130 tarantulas. Never had an issue, but I know that some areas tap water would probably cause a concern. Some water in different areas of the country contain more chemicals and minerals such as iron or lead. Know your water first. More than likely it should be safe but if you notice it has more of a chemical or mineral taste than it should, has been known to stain or damage clothes when you do laundry, or it has been known to include an abundance of pollutants then I wouldn't use it. At my brother's house the water coming from the water company is terrible. He has a filtration system in place but without filtration it would damage clothes in the washer and taste horrible due to high content of iron and other minerals.
                  I can't use a standard filtration unit as I live in an apartment building so there is no sense in modifying the plumbing here. I know everyone else seems to use tap water but I can't, guess I'll just have to get some drums, sand and charcoal. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Comment

I have a reverse osmosis system that I use for snake watering. It produces a little over a gallon an hour, so it's plenty for me and the girlfriend, the dog and the snakes.
                    http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

If your concerned with your water then you could always go to the grocery store and get gallons of distilled. I pick it up for myself and the grocery store brand runs about .59 a gallon, not to bad and I'm sure would be safe for snakes as well.

Comment

Or you could get spring water which would probably be the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X