Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times should I feed an adult 6 feet, 6 year old boa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] How many times should I feed an adult 6 feet, 6 year old boa?

I have a 6 feet, 6 year old adult red tail boa that I have been feeding medium sized rats every two weeks w/o any issues. I used to feed him small rats to stunt his growth because I don't want him to get any bigger than he is. Is it okay to feed him 2 medium sized rats every 2 weeks? I just want to make sure. Thank you in advance.

Re: How many times should I feed an adult 6 feet, 6 year old boa?

First of all, you aren't going to be able to healthily stunt his growth. You can feed just one medium sized rat every two weeks and he will still grow. The best thing to do is feed him 1 rat that is the size of the largest girth of the snake and it should leave a small lump. And do this every two weeks. You can find a lot of valuable info in the Ultimate Care Guide on this website.

Comment

There are a lot of good people on here that can help you out with some good info

Comment

The way you have been feeding your male is just fine. There is no reason what so ever that a male should get much bigger than 6 foot. Once my males reach the 4 foot range they eat a medium rat every 3 to 4 weeks and that is the schedule they stay on.

Comment

well my snake is 5ft5 give or take a inch.... i feed her a med(but a big medium)to her every week..... so i would say just feed every week if not feed a large one every 2 weeks

Comment

I agree with clsutt29 -- I seldom have a male grow more than 5 ft by regulating their diet -- not stunting their growth. I think that most of the Boa keepers have manipulated their Boas growth patterns by feeding their adults weekly throughout their lives, causing them to be much larger, quicker than they would naturally be . I've had real hardy male live to be 14 plus years , strong breeding , and remain right at or less than 5 ft. IMO , a 7-9 ft male should be around 15 years or more. The only males that I've had get 6 ft or close to it, were ones that I bought as sud-adults, and they were obviously fed like females before I got them.

Comment

Thank you for all the info. I know stunting his growth is bad that's why I stopped it. A medium sized rat sounds fine then every two weeks.

Comment

I feed my RTB,Snowcorn and BP a sm.rat about once or twice a month and they are in their 30"+ range sometimes they get fed once a month, cause after I feed them they tend to sleep awhile so they can shed. the snow corn grows faster than the RTB and BP. hopefully the RTB won't get any bigger than 4' the tank is only 30" long 20L Critter cage from Petco
                sigpic

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker
                Gresham,OR
                Save our Reptiles!!
                I Brake for Snakes!!::

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyr View Post
                  I feed my RTB,Snowcorn and BP a sm.rat about once or twice a month and they are in their 30"+ range sometimes they get fed once a month, cause after I feed them they tend to sleep awhile so they can shed. the snow corn grows faster than the RTB and BP. hopefully the RTB won't get any bigger than 4' the tank is only 30" long 20L Critter cage from Petco
                  1st. your boa if only 30" i asume is young so he should be feed every 7-10 days not once a month

2nd. your boa WILL get bigger then 4ft you WILL need to evenually buy a bigger tank

3rd. dont know much about corn snakes but if your BP and Boa are eating the the small rats they are probalay way to for your corn snake! or your feeding you BP and you Boa way to small of meals

Comment

The length of you snake should not be a factor in the size of the prey items you're feeing him. You want to feed a prey item of approx the same girth as the biggest part of your boa. Once the prey is consumed, there should be a barely noticeable bump in you snake. If the bump is too big, you need smaller prey. If it's not there, bigger.

Generally, one prey item is better than two. As long as the prey is the correct size, you won't need a second.

As to the feeding schedule and controlling growth, I am doing the same thing with my female to keep her right about 8 ft. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you keep the snake healthy while doing it. I feed her 1 large rat every two weeks. She's almost 6 ft. now at 2 and a half years old.

-Sean in NoCal
                    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I agree, after I feed them a small rat, I get the 3pk. at petco Gourmet Rodents. the rats are pretty good size, They usually like to have a good long rest after a good meal. which they go into shed mode. the sm. rats seem to hold them for awhile.
                      sigpic

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker
                      Gresham,OR
                      Save our Reptiles!!
                      I Brake for Snakes!!::

Comment

I listen to my boa to determine frequency of feeding. She's a 4 yr old, 5-6 footer eating med rats. If i feed every 2 weeks, she's not so interested. if i wait 4 or more, she's super eager. So, I offer every 3 weeks or so. She's always been good about letting me know when it's time... she just has a particular body language when she's getting hungry. hard to describe, i just know.

Comment

I agree with (cwaybrown) at six feet and six years of age he should be eating an appropriately sized rat:

Medium: every two weeks

if he's big enough for one large or jumbo then feed him once a month....this will keep him from growing too fast but keep him healthy....

Comment

my boa is 3yrs, 6+ft and eats a large rat every 10 days or so. Is that pretty normal?

Comment

Originally posted by SWOMPDONKEY View Post
                              my boa is 3yrs, 6+ft and eats a large rat every 10 days or so. Is that pretty normal?
                              Its the Animals girth and muscle tone that matters really Next time your going to feed him post a pic of him next to his meal....

just make sure that the rat is as wide or maybe 5-10% larger that your Boa at its widest part

Comment

Working...
                              X