Hunger strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] Hunger strike?

Hi all.. I am new to forum. I have an adult (about 6 years) seeming healthy. I have always feed frozen/thawed. Has been on a jumbo rat about every two weeks or so for last couple years. Has always eaten regularly after just tossing the rat in habitat. This last round of feeding she simply didn't eat it. She seems otherwise as healthy, active as usual. She has rejected several rats (which I have left over night now. It has been about 6 weeks since she has eaten. Should I be worried? Thoughts?

Re: Hunger strike?

No there really is no reason to worry now, atleast not about eating. Depending on everything else that could be minor. What are the temps and humidy? Have they changed?
    Have you been trying to breed her? They stop eating during the breeding season sometimes. This could be the first year that she is mature enough to breed and may be going through the process even though she'll never get pregnant.
    It could be many things but snakes can go a very long time without eating. Just ensure she has plenty of fresh water so she does not dehydrate. When is the last time she defacated? If it's been a while she could be backed up, get her in the tub to soak for a while (room temp water only half way up her sides).
    Some tips that are used on problem feeders could possibly entice her to eat as well. When you feed next time, run the rat under hot water right before you feed, bring its temp up quite a bit but ensure it's not hot to the touch. Cut it's nose a little to get some blood flowing. Try feeding late at night when she's most active. Antagonize her to the point of getting her pissed at the rat, to the point where she'll eatit just so it gets out of her face. My next recommendation is to just leave her alone for a little while longer, let her get nice and hungry and give it another shot. Let us know if anything works.

Comment

Thanks...she has defecated as per usual since last feeding....no breeding....temp and humidity seems OK...change water daily and she seems to be drinking and is very active...

Comment

If the things mentioned by chaos don't work, try leaving her in a smaller container overnight with the rat. This trick has helped me with BPs that didn't want to eat. However, right now I wouldn't worry too much. A snake that size might go months without a meal in the wild. Just give it a couple weeks and try again.
        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Thanks..that was my plan..wait a couple more weeks and give it another go...

Comment

Whether you plan on breeding or not, this time of year can trigger a breeding response in your boa. That includes food refusal.

Remember, in the wild, these animals are lucky to eat 8-10 times a year. He can go for several months without food. As long has he doesn't begin to lose body mass, or drop more that 10-15% of his weight, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep offering food on his regular schedule. Unless he's otherwise sick, (not trying to make you worry there..) he won't let himself starve to death.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Very interesting. I'm going to check back on this thread because this is exactly what MY boa is doing. She is about 8 feet long, 5 or 6 years old, and had been regularly eating two large rats at a time. She stopped eating 5 weeks ago. We have had her for 2 1/2 years now and she has never stopped eating for more than two weeks at a time. She is not being bred.....

Comment

Working...
              X