Rats popping???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] Rats popping???

Ok so a couple weeks ago I thought I would start all my snakes on F/T well I put them in the fridge the night before like I'm supposed to and put them under a heat lamp for a while probably like a half hour I kept on checking on them and finally when I thought they were ready I fed them to my two red tails and my burm. Well my hypo did nothing out of the ordinary but my bci coiled it and popped it open and it was oozing, so I looked to see how my burm was doing (mind you they're all around 3 ft so you cant say they're that strong) and she did the same thing. Can somebody please let me know why his is happening and what i can do to prevent this from happening again because I would really like to do the switch to F/T.

Re: Rats popping???

Well, I've never had one "pop". I have had my female swallow one backwards and force some intrails out through the rat's mouth, but no popping.

It might be your thawing method. I use the method found in the Ultimate Care Guide, found at the left of this page.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

^^^I've read that thing like twice lol I follow all the rules and everything I guess i'll give it another try this week and see what happens

Comment

Rather than placing them in the fridge and then under a heat lamp, try thawing them in water.

Just place the f/t in a bowl of normal temp water for about an hour (or less depending on the size of the item.) Once the item has thawed, place it in warm water for a short period of time to bring the body temp of the item up. After it's warmed up for a few minutes then introduce the item(s) to your snake(s).

This is the only method that I have used and I have never had any issues or problems.

Good luck!
        "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

i have had f/t pop with me but i didnt thaw in stages as recommended in addition i used hot water not warm off the bat so i learned very quick what not to do. there are clearly no short cuts in the business.

Comment

I've used water to thaw my rats for 10 years and never had a rat pop either. I can imagine it would be quite a mess.
            http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Originally posted by lyndon View Post
              i have had f/t pop with me but i didnt thaw in stages as recommended in addition i used hot water not warm off the bat so i learned very quick what not to do. there are clearly no short cuts in the business.
              i've only ever used hot water. the only time i have had a problem with it i was using weanling mice. haven't had a problem at all with rats.

Comment

its the heat lamp lol. back when i only had a few small snakes i used to use the heat lamp to thaw out their food, finally one day i left them under there just a little too long and they all burst when i fed them, it was SO gross, the rat guts went everywhere. didnt stop the snakes from eating them though, they left funny looking lumps though cause the whole mid-section of the food had burst out LOL.

i thaw out the food in hot water now, and i feed as soon as i feel no more cool spots anywhere. the longer you leave them thawing the more likely they are to burst.

Comment

if you thaw it out to quickly the skin looses it elasticity....now the snake comes in and squeezes it. since the skin has no give and the insides are under pressure the skin will rupture...

thats my take on it

Comment

i agree. they were thawed too quickly. I thaw in water, too. It takes me about an hour and a half. I start with cool water and soak until thawed. then I soak in warm water for 20 minutes or so. Then I soak in hot water for a couple minutes right before i feed. never had one pop, but they ooze a lot if I thaw/warm too quickly. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X