rat to mouse comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] rat to mouse comparison

I have 2 snakes that have been eating f/t adult mice. I'd like to switch them over to f/t rats. Can someone help me out with what size rat is comparable to an adult mouse? I know I read about this on here somewhere. thanks

Re: rat to mouse comparison

I think the ultimate care guide has a part on that in it. I don't use mice at all but I think an adult mouse is comparable to a rat crawler or maybe a small weaned rat. I consider a crawler a rat that has there eyes open, crawing around cage and just a few days from being weaned.

Comment

Rodent Pro has the length and weight of their different sizes on their site. You could use that as a rough guide.

Large adult mice:
      Length (Inches): 2.50 - 3.00*
      Weight (Grams): 20.00 - 29.00

Extra large:
      Length (Inches): 3.00 - 3.75*
      Weight (Grams): 30.00 - 50.00

Rat pups:
      Length (Inches): 2.50 - 3.50*
      Weight (Grams): 20.00 - 29.00

Weaned rats:
      Length (Inches): 3.50 - 4.50*
      Weight (Grams): 30.00 - 44.00

Of course one man's weaned is another man's medium, so you're probably best off eyeballing the girth (if you're buying them in person).
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
        Of course one man's weaned is another man's medium, so you're probably best off eyeballing the girth (if you're buying them in person).

This is true. I've sent a friend to the reptile show to get me small rats for a yearling boa and he came back with rats big enough for a 2 year old female.
        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I think I went from pet store adult mice to frozen weaned rats from big cheese. Their weight charts showed them similar and it turned out that their packs had enough size variance to transition beautifully! That's been a few years ago, I still use big cheese, but now she's eating mediums! yum yum!

Comment

Working...
          X