X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgonzalez305
    Snake Maniac
    • Nov 2009

[Frozen/Thawed] Wont eat F/T (fix!!!!!)

Ok so here's the deal....I have a python that I have tried several times to convert over to frozen Thawed, with no success. he looks at it, looks at me like im an idiot and just walks(slithers) away.

on the other hand he will snatch a live rat in mid air without hesitating. Very Strong feeder...

After viewing the pics that BigPaPaErnest posted on here of the snake that got chewed up by a rat( i never leave live feeder unsupervised) I said that he's not getting anymore live food...

Ok so here we go:

I presented warm frozen/ thawed to him in his feeding tank. I dangled it perfect, the temp was perfect.....and once again no taker's...

Fix:

I put him back in his encloser to calm down for a couple minutes. I grabbed my multi tool and squished the rats head to make sure all the good stuff was exposed. and dangled it in front of his hide. He hit it twice(defensive) and I let it sit in front of his hide...I couple minutes later i came out and he was smelling it... a couple hours had passed and nothing....I went to sleep, woke up and it looks like he had the midnight munchies. Because the rat is gone and he looks like me after dinner at my favorite steak house..."Bloated and motionless"

just thought i should share this experience....

• monkeywrench133
    ColdBlooded!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Wont eat F/T (fix!!!!!)

Just keep trying. Once he gets hungry enough, he'll take it. I've got a JCP that refused F/T for 6 months. He finally got over it and eats regularly now.
    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

• jgonzalez305
      Snake Maniac
      • Nov 2009

yeah I know....he did take it just not on my terms.....ill have to keep trying....and if he will eat from a plate even better....all i have to do is set the food out for him and he will eat it....no need to dangle and stress out...

thanks for your reply

Comment

• Fireproof
        Snake Lover
        • May 2008

Congrats! It's a good feeling when they take it.

Feedings can be frustrating. I have a 2.5 year old sand boa that's been hammering F/T forever. But now, he's refused it the last 3 attempts. So frustrating when they don't want to eat!

Comment

• jgonzalez305
          Snake Maniac
          • Nov 2009

try what i did....make sure its late, nice and warm and just leave it in with him/her...and check on it in a couple hours....but make sure that he/she...has privacy.....

Comment

• HERETiC
            Snake Lover
            • Mar 2010

To continue this discussion I hope you don't mind me asking:

How long can you leave a thawed mouse in the cage?

I realize not too long, but is overnight safe?

The frozen feeder I bought at PETCO today said "Not for human consumption!" on the back - lol.

Comment

• dino221
              Newbie!
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by monkeywrench133
              Just keep trying. Once he gets hungry enough, he'll take it. I've got a JCP that refused F/T for 6 months. He finally got over it and eats regularly now.
              maybe is a jcp thing cause mine is a 09 and isnt too big but not too small and is like afraid of a f/t mouse she like refuses to eat it she ate for awhile then stopped its jus stressful watchin em starve till they get hungry enough to eat f/t

Comment

Working...