Eating upside down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] Eating upside down

So it was feeding time for my new(ish) boa. I placed her in her feeding tub and she was extremely excited to eat this time. She made her way up to the top edge of the tub while she waited for me to bring her a mouse. I generally use tongs to dangle the f/t mouse and she takes it right away, but this time the mouse fell from my tongs to the bottom of the tub. I decided to leave it to give her some time and see if she would take it without the use of tongs. Sure enough, she slowly lowered her head until she was close enough to strike it. When she hit it, she instantly pulled back up and wrapped around it. So there she is, hanging on the top edge of the tub with her tail, and her entire body dangling in the air while wrapped around the mouse. She then proceeded to eat the entire mouse while dangling upside down. She suceeded

I've never had a boa do that before and thought it was pretty funny. Has anybody else had a boa eat like that before? Is there any issue with having the boa eat the mouse while completely upside down?

Re: Eating upside down

That's some strange behavior. I've never seen a snake do this, but I don't see why it would cause any harm to the animal. As long as it isn't hanging upside down while digesting, it should be fine.
    http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Pretty cool and I wish you took a video of it. lol

Comment

Yeah, she normally doesn't do that. I thought it was pretty cool when she first struck and was holding it upside down. I figured she would go to the bottom of the tub before actually starting to eat the mouse. I was pretty shocked when she started downing it while dangling. She would have one wrap around the end of the mouse at all times while she was slowly gulping it up from the bottom. It was pretty cool.

I grabbed my iphone to shoot a video but it's been giving me problems lately and wouldn't cooperate.

Comment

i have had boas eat while upside down but she was hanging from a branch when she ate other than that it happens i doubt its bad for your boa i've also had a boa take a rat down sideways before and it was fine

Comment

Working...
          X