rat to big? help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] rat to big? help please

so i was out of town for the last 2 weeks and my woman tried to feed my boa and she got to big of a rat like a XL one when he needs a M or a small L one. so what happend was he could only get it down to the shoulders and no further. so when i got home i took the XL rat out. now here it is a few days later and i pick up a M rat and put it in his tank and got nothing. wondering if the rat was to big and hurt him somehow and that is the reason he wont eat the M one or if i should wait another week or so and try to feed him again. it almost looks like he is scared of the rat now. please shed some light i have had him for 2 yrs and never seen him act like this.

Re: rat to big? help please

hey, welcome to the forum! if you haven't already, check out the 'ultimate care guide' on the left side of the screen.

as for your issue, i'd say give him a week or two, then try again. you also may wanna try a smaller-than-normal rat.

let us know how it works out for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post
      hey, welcome to the forum! if you haven't already, check out the 'ultimate care guide' on the left side of the screen.

as for your issue, i'd say give him a week or two, then try again. you also may wanna try a smaller-than-normal rat.

let us know how it works out for ya!

What he said.

And definitely go with a smaller than normal meal. Post some pics. Good luck!

Comment

yea its seems like if they(snakes in general) have a bad feeding expierience, then they shy away from feeding for awhile, so i'd just give it some time

Comment

have you tried fresh killed or frozen prey items?

Comment

forest city nc right on! i'm from asheville!woot!

Comment

I wouldn't worry, as long as the snake didn't totally eat a prey item that was too big it should be fine. It might be a little timid during feeding time but after a couple weeks without a meal, it will eat. You could try braining the rat, dangling it in front of the hide box, or feeding with all the lights off and just leaving the rat in overnight (assuming it's not live). You should also have the lady read the care guide and educate her about boas.

I can leave town with my gf in charge of the snakes and not worry about a thing. She knows when they need to eat, what size, how to thaw, not to handle after feeding, all of that good stuff. You will have peace of mind knowing she can take care of your snake if the need arises and you two might have another common interest once she's more educated. My gf hated snakes a year ago and now looks forward to going to the reptile show with me every month.
              http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Does she got any sisters?

Comment

She has a half sister who's in 8th grade, sorry haha.
                  http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

They all hit the nail on the head. Key points are leave him alone for about 2 weeks. Then feed him a small rat.

Comment

Yeah Let him be for a week or two and then feed him small rat twice and then go back to med....

if the problem keeps up take him to the vet...He could have been injured..

but give him some time first...

you can also try and just leave a (dead) small rat in the cage over night...Make sure you crack the skull open....

Comment

Working...
                      X