Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] What's next??

What's the next step??? I have a female redtail, just over
    6ft.. She's been eating 2 frozen jumbo rats every 2 weeks is so..
    The past 2 times she's looking for another so what should I do??
    I've been thinking of giveing her a small rabbit?? Thanks

Re: What's next??

Hi,

Rabbits are definitly something bigger boas will eat. Depending where you buy your feeders the size could be different that what others might be used to. I've seen some small jumbos and some jumbos who look 2-3 XL size.

You can get small rabbits though. I know one of my boas eats rabbits and my other is still on rats. A lot of people here have boas who eat rabbits. Have you ever tried it? Can you get a bigger rat? (2-3 XL) ?

You can try to do this:
    1) Move up in size one. If you're at the biggest rats try a small rabbit (I hear they are more nutrious than a rat too but I am not 100%)
    2) Try feeding every week vs every two

Females are usually a bit bigger than the males (my male is still on rats, my fem on rabbits) so it might be time to perhaps try it. As long as the rabbit is already dead I don't think there is much harm in trying a small one. The snake probably wont try to eat it if it's too big and if it does it will usually spit it out sooner than later if its too big (from my experience)

How thick is the boa? Do the 2 rats put a lump in her or does she still look normal? Any pictures in the mean time?

I would wait for some others to chime in with their opinion also, but usually the body size of the snake can help tell you if you need bigger or smaller feeders

Comment

Well here are some of the rats that you can move up to

First link is XXL Rat

Sizing Popup

This is XXL Rat

Sizing Popup

Is what you are feeding as big or bigger

Comment

Once a boa reaches 6 feet, they'll grow more slowly. Boas don't "need" a lot of food to continue to grow.

If you're already feeding 2 Jumbo rats, every two weeks, that should be plenty for a 6 foot animal.

I have boas that are 7 feet and they only get 2 large rats every two weeks. My 7 foot boas weigh in at 27 pounds and they're still growing. I had one boa that grew to 8' 4" on a diet of 2 large rats, every 2 weeks. She weighed in at 33 pounds and she was only "4 years old". I had to cut back on her food, because she was getting "fat".

Giving your snake too much food will only make them fat. I never give my boas anything larger than a large rat. I never give my boas more than 2 rats at a feeding.

You can give you girl a small rabbit if you want, but the more you feed her the more she'll "want". It's not that she'll "need" more food, but she will definately "want it".

How old is your boa?

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
          Once a boa reaches 6 feet, they'll grow more slowly. Boas don't "need" a lot of food to continue to grow.

If you're already feeding 2 Jumbo rats, every two weeks, that should be plenty for a 6 foot animal.

I have boas that are 7 feet and they only get 2 large rats every two weeks. My 7 foot boas weigh in at 27 pounds and they're still growing. I had one boa that grew to 8' 4" on a diet of 2 large rats, every 2 weeks. She weighed in at 33 pounds and she was only "4 years old". I had to cut back on her food, because she was getting "fat".

Giving your snake too much food will only make them fat. I never give my boas anything larger than a large rat. I never give my boas more than 2 rats at a feeding.

You can give you girl a small rabbit if you want, but the more you feed her the more she'll "want". It's not that she'll "need" more food, but she will definately "want it".

How old is your boa?

Linda hit the nail on the head

Comment

I am also VERY curious to know the age of the boa... If It where my boa, I would simply feed it one appropriate sized rabbit once a month (assuming the boa is over 3 or 4 years old). I would by no means over feed her. Sometimes a snake will eat and eat and eat and not know when to stop.

That being said, You need to regulate the food, not let her do the regulating. Boas can also get overweight fairly easy. That's just my 2 cents.

I would honestly stay away from the XXXL rats. I have heard bad things about those things... And even though those big feeder rats get fed a good source of food.... the rats are still XXXL (or in other words, really really really fat). You want you're boa to have a source of lean food, not fat food.

Rabbits contain a good lean food source, I would def go that route

Again, This is just my 2 cents.

Comment

once my snakes get big enough for jumbos i start feeding them small rabbits, with a jumbo rat every now and then to mix it up a little. my girls grow twice as fast with the rabbits O.O with the rabbits though they seem satisfied alot longer than with a same-sized rat. my girls will only need to eat about once a month with a rabbit, where they like to eat twice a month with the rats. the rabbits are lean meat, they are supposed to have less fat and more protein than the rats, at least thats what the nutrition charts say.....

Comment

She is 2yrs old.. How do I put pics of her
                on here.. The pics are on my phone...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cinderella27441 View Post
                  Well,
                  With your boa being only 2 years old and just over 6 feet long....

I wouldn't be too quick to up the size of her meals. It seems to me, going by her size and age, that she's been getting plenty to eat and growing fairly quick.

If your boa is seeming hungry after you feed her, it's probably because she's been well fed and she's "wanting more than she needs".

I'd keep her at her current amount or even cut back a little. Most Boas take "about" 3 years to get to the 6 foot mark. Some take longer.

As far as how to get pictures off a phone... I have no idea of how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by cinderella27441 View Post
                    E-mail the pics to yourself and then upload them to a photobucket account. Then click this link and follow Pappas directions. http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/pic...otobucket.html

I've gotta get my big girl on the rabbits soon too. She was fed once a week for 2 1/2 years by the last owner and shes not as ripped as I would like her. Linda is absolutely right on the money about conditioning them to want food less often by not over feeding. My girl gets an extra day of alone time after eating because she has learned to eat so frequently.

Mat.

Comment

I'm curious.... Did you get a new snake?

I read some of your other posts and you mentioned that you only had 1 snake. It was about 8 months old and 4 feet long.

Now you're asking about a boa that's just over 6 foot and eating 2 jumbo rats every 2 weeks.

So, did you get a second snake or is this a friends snake you're asking about??

Of course, she was 4 feet about 9 months ago.....

That would mean she's grown just over 2 feet in 9 months, if it's the same snake.

It sounds to me, like you should "slow down" on her feedings. Maybe give her "1" Jumbo rat every 2 weeks. That will allow her "insides" to catch up with her "outside".

BTW if she's the same "08" baby mentioned in your other posts.... This is just "09". That makes her "less" than 2 years old and just over 6 feet... That is, if it's the same boa.
                      Is this the same boa you mentioned in your other posts????

Comment

Working...
                      X