Regurgitating!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] Regurgitating!!!

I picked up two Guyana Red Tails about a month or so ago. Well, my female keeps regurgitating!! My male has done it once so far.
    Ok, for the female:
    She first ate for me on Oct 31st, probably too big of a meal. about a week later I saw a mucusy thing that looked like pancake poo(really flat). So that’s what I thought it was a first. I fed her Nov. 13th and the very next day I see the mouse in the cage, part of it digested. I waited until Nov. 29th to feed her again. And today, guess what?? Well it looked like poo for the shape, but it was grey in color, and after I used a q-tip to investigate I saw a piece of bone and some fur. I haven’t handled her until yesterday b/c I had a slight mite infestation. I took her out to clean her cage and put down paper towels. Could she just be the type that needs to be left alone until she takes a poo??
    Ok, now the male:
    I fed him on Nov. 17th, and on Nov. 19th I found the rat in the cage. I waited until early this morning to feed him. That was before my female regurgitated.
    The guy I got them from told me they were wild captive!!! I didn’t know that, and would not have bought them. I didn't even think to ask. my fault there. He said they were both wormed with flagyl already, and that he had them for about six months before I got them. He had no issues from what he said. Would there be a need to flagyl them again?? This is super frustrating!! I would wait another two weeks to feed her, but I’m going out of town in two weeks for two weeks, and I don’t want a rotting mouse in her cage. I guess I will wait until I get back in town, but she really needs to get some nutrients. What should I do??
    Thanks, Will

Re: Regurgitating!!!

First, I would like to thank you for your information. Most people don't take the time to tell us all the facts. Thank you.

Next, you were doing the right thing feeding every two weeks, not a lot of people out there know that they should be feeding BCC's different than BCI's.

Get them to the vet to get checked out. Normally if a snake regurges more than once the out come in not good. Death can proceed.

Give them 3-4 weeks off of feeding so their digestive tract can replace the flora that was lost. Offer plenty of fresh water.

I would also contact the breeder to find out exactly what "wild captive" means.

Check temps and humidity. Also you said you put them on paper towels, what were you using for substrate before that?

Make sure you are feeding the proper sized prey item. After a regurge you should down size the prey until they start feeding normally.

Comment

I would like to also add on a little bit.

I would wait to feed for about a month.

I would give them a smaller meal than they can except.

And I would leave the handling to a very minimal If not none.

Do you have hides in the enclosures?

Comment

Thanks you two. Ok, the guy I got them from told me they were imported from Guyana as they were caught in the wild. Again, if I wasn't so blown away at the way these two looked, I would have had the sense to ask him first. My temps are 90 on warm side and 80 on cool side. humidity stays at 50%. The previous substrate was aspen. She is about 3' long and as round as a quarter if I had to guess. I fed her a 23g f/t rat pup. For waiting on feed, I will definitely wait one month and feed something smaller. I thought a 23g rat pup would be small enough. I do not handle her after feeding unless I have to, like changing substrate and cleaning for mites. I do have two hides, one on each end. Oh, and i guess a vet trip is in order, I was hoping it wasn't needed. Thanks again, anymore thoughts are welcome.
        Will

Comment

You need to treat for mites ASAP because they will get bad fast. I would take them to the vet especially because they were imported, and because they regurged more than once.

Why would he pay to have them imported just to sell them? It sounds a little "fishy" to me.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Comment

I agree, does sound a little fishy. I would def treat for mites ASAP as well. Those things will drain the energy from you're boa like there is no tomorrow. And def keep these guys away from the rest of you're collection (if you have other reptiles). Keep us updated on these guys.

Originally posted by jvarner View Post
            You need to treat for mites ASAP because they will get bad fast. I would take them to the vet especially because they were imported, and because they regurged more than once.

Why would he pay to have them imported just to sell them? It sounds a little "fishy" to me.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Comment

Oh i'm definitely treating for mites right now. I have Provent-a-mite ordered and should be here any day. For now I'm just using store bought Mite Off by Zoo Med. As for this guy importing them. I think he bought them off someone who had them imported. This guy shops classifieds for cheap snakes from people just trying to get rid of them, and turns them for a profit. I found this out from a guy I get my rodents from. I won't be buying from this guy again. Only breeders from now on. It was a good deal, so I jumped on it. I guess it's not such a good deal now. lesson learned. I'm calling the vets office in a min. Thanks again.
              Will

Comment

I only have a short time so I just briefly read through things so I hope I don't state the obvious or anything.

Mites are bad, yes you should treat, but do understand that you are dealing with compromised animals and they may be more sensitive to toxicity and such so just be aware of that factor and be extra careful.

As far as the regurgitation goes, way to go on weighing the rats; I wish I could be so thorough! Typically the protocol for regurges is to wait 2-3 weeks before feeding and when you do feed again to feed a much smaller prey item. Some people swear by probiotics, I haven't seen any studies to prove they help, but anecdotally there is evidence. However, administering yogurt or probiotic could be stressful for these guys and that may very well be the entire problem. Wild caught BCCs have a HUGE issue with stress that frequently causes regurgitation so keeping them stress free with plenty of hides is imperative. Wild caught animals of any kind are often loaded with parasites and even with a negative fecal sample I do feel they should be prophylactically treated with a broad-spectrum, safe dewormer like fenbendazole. If you PM me I can guide you with how to do that, but they really need a vet visit and a fecal checked to looks for things like coccidia that fenbendazole wouldn't treat. Typically you might want to soak a snake that's regurgitated that much to help with any dehydration, but I wonder if that would be more harmful in this instance due to the stress. You'll probably have to feel that out since you are the one observing them.

When you talk to the breeder, I'd find out how long they have been captive, how they were doing before, quarantine practices, etc etc. Check out the seller on FaunaClassifieds Board of Inquiry (BOI) too so that you can see feedback from other buyers. We try to keep that sort of stuff off of here since it can get heated and the BOI is already set up for that. Also find out if they were dewormed and if they were, with what dewormer.

Good luck!

Comment

Hello and Good luck with your new babies. I am not sure if this has been asked or you mentioned it, but which came first the mites or the Regurge? Is there anyway you could be not knowingly be treating for mites "other than directed". I haven't had exp w mites thankfully and bnot sure exactly how but You are not putting it directly on them are you. I think you even have to wait so long befors putting them back in a treated enclosure. I am not sure just throwing some things out there. Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok for you(them).
                  Harmon

Comment

Originally posted by THESURFER View Post
                    This guy shops classifieds for cheap snakes from people just trying to get rid of them, and turns them for a profit.
                    Ah, the Flipper. Those are even harder than mites to get rid of.

Mat.

Comment

Lmao flippers! florida shows are full of them!

Comment

How far away are you checking your heat?If you got UTH mat it could be to hot on surface and got there bellys to hot and started this.Sometimes in a new home they wont move off heat.Do you got a prob on floor or a heat gun to check the floor temp.Get a pack of pinky rats from big cheese .Feed smallest first.Dont move to hair until there holding pinkys.There stressed to. leave them be in a good hide.A piece of newspaper makes them fell secure when they get under it.Only feed and clean until there right.Fresh water no handling.A vet check would be good.

Comment

So I called the vet and left a message yesterday. They were full for today. Calling back on Monday to get an appt. I checked UPS and my P.A.M. will be here on Monday. So far no signs of anymore mites, but I know they could be in the hatching stage, so I will continue to treat. My female seems to be doing ok, forgot to buy pedialite today, will tomorrow. My male is holding his rat in still, hopefully it will stay. I double checked my temps and the warm end was at 93-94F. Would that be too hot?? I dropped them down to 88F to be on the safe side. I saved the grey regurge/poo from the female to have the vet check it out. Thanks for your help everyone. It's still just the beginning, but it's super nice to know I have you guys in my corner. Of all the snakes I've owned over the years, I have never had an issue with regurgitating snakes. Hopefully these two will be fine in the end, because man, they are super pretty. And I would love to get some babies out of them in a few years. Thanks again,
                          Will

Comment

Good luck i'm actually in the same boat, i'm waiting on pom my self and dealing with a regurger

Comment

I had one regurge last month. Now she is in shed and kept her meal down from last week.

Just be patient.

Comment

Working...
                              X