No announcement yet.

new onwner, new snake, won't eat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] new onwner, new snake, won't eat.

Hello everyone,
    I am a new owner of a T+ nic male boa (6-09). I picked him on the day he usally feeds, a thursday. And now I am trying to feed him a hopper on sat. He won't take it. I put it on his head and he struck at it, but wouldn't take it.

The cage is huge 75 gallon. I later read it is better to keep the snake in a cage according to it's size. Also, I later read that glass aquariums are not the way to go.

Anyway, I have wrapped this tank in a heating blanket, and it is holding steady at 86, with a UTH pad around 93. The humidity is between 40-50. I tried feeding a frozen thawed hopper. What should I do now?

Thanks,
    Johnny

Re: new onwner, new snake, won't eat.

you need to give him a week or 2 to settle in before you try to feed

Comment

It's also not uncommon for them to sometimes skip a meal. You also don't need to put anything on their heads.. that probably will just scare them a bit more and that's probably why he struck at it.

Glass is alright if you can keep the temps and humidity, it's just a lot harder to do in glass than some other stuff.

Comment

yep. . .let him settle in for a couple of weeks. . .then try to feed. . .new environment, BIG environment, are probably stressing him out a bit . . .also drop your heating blanket temps down to 80 for the ambient temps and your UTH to mid to high 80s. . .he needs a bigger temp gradient i think. . .cover the top of your glass tank partially with some plexi glass, or a moist towel for now if you can't get the plexi glass right away, that should bring your humidity up some more. . .also download the Ultimate Care Guide here if you havn't already. . .hope this helps. . .and good luck. . .

Comment

I would wait about a week for him to get use to everything, Even if he eats right now, theres a possibility that he could just throw it up later. Stress does alot to a baby boa, im dealing with one that hasnt ate in a month. I think im as stressed out as she is...lol

Comment

Have patience. Let him settle in for at least a week.

Don't worry if they skip a meal. Remember, in the wild these animals are lucky to eat 8-10 times a year.

He'll be OK. Let us know how it goes!

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

You guys are great. I love this site.

I knew he would be stressed, and probably really hungry. But now I know that he isn't going to die of starvation anytime soon. Thats a relief. Thanks a lot. I have the top covered with some heavy plastic and a blanket on top of that. I know what you mean, I feel as stressed as he does... probably.

I'll keep posting... hopefully with good news and pictures of my little guy.

Comment

Welcome Johnny, I agree w/ every1. As you I'm new to this & have had the same promblem b4 & giving it time it worked itself out fine. These guys/gals here are great & I'm learning a lot. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                X