Rabbits or Rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rabbits] Rabbits or Rats

Are Rabbits healthier than rats...and where can I buy pinkie rabbits...

Re: Rabbits or Rats

Don't know where you can get the small rabbit kits. I like to use them only when my snakes out grow rats. I do breed my own rabbits also so I really don't have the problem of having to find them to buy.

Comment

rabbits are more nutritional than rats I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
        Im glad you asked. I was wondering the same thing. Not so much pinkie rabbits but for my big boy Sarge...he doesnt like fresh killed or even frozen rats and i figured a live rabbit would do less harm that a live rat.

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
          LOL I have no idea but I couldn't help laughing at the term "pinkie rabbits." Oh wait, actually I think someone told me rodent pro does a nutritional analysis of mice and rats. They may have one for rabbits too.

Comment

I think rabbits are better. I think it's rabbit>rat>mice but don't hold me to it.

I recently went the online route of rabbits for my biggest boa. Pet stores want $15-25 a pop around here and they only carry the adorable floppy ears.

I posted a thread a while back and the general consensus was rodentpro.com I placed an order for 20 x medium rabbits and got them 4 days before I was supposed to and was very happy with them. Though these will last a year I plan to continue to use them for rabbits. I think I paid $5 per (they were on sale from $6). I don't think it'd be worth the trouble to breed rabbits for only 1 snake. Just my opinion.

I know they have rabbits from a few days old all the way up tostuff probably fit for burms and retics. I would defintly recommend checking them out. I know the boa I got on them simply loves them.

P.S. A live rabbit will kick like a mofo.

Comment

I cannot get Rats here in Alberta and feed all my boas Rabbits once they are off mice. Lucky for me my reptile store sells feeders in a variety of sizes from 1 bite, 2 bite and then by the pound.

The way I look at it a baby rabbit can be just as big as a Jumbo rat.
              However the rabbit is still on the mothers nutritional milk which is packed full of vitamins and fat.
              I would assume the nutritional value would be significantly higher.

You also mentioned less damage then a rat?
              I would still be very cautious as one kick from a good sized rabbit could easily lacerate a snake

Comment

They still have teeth

Comment

Originally posted by mack1time View Post
                  I cannot get Rats here in Alberta
                  ROFL!!! I was actually going to ask you about that, not even already dead and frozen? Wow they are serious about the whole rat free thing lol.

Originally posted by Spo0led View Post
                  ...and i figured a live rabbit would do less harm that a live rat.
                  I gotta chime in with everyone else who has said the same thing and add I think a scared rabbit will do more damage. They are rodents just like rats after all and have similar teeth, just on a much larger scale. Also there is the cat like kicking move they have combined with larger, sharper and harder nails than any rat will ever have. Also, rabbits tend to be very quiet, to the point of virtually silent, but not when they are being killed. They scream and it sounds like a baby...it sucks, you don't want to go through that. He will not starve himself, let him get hungry and he will eat fresh killed and even frozen/thawed eventually.

Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Serpentes Inc. View Post
                    LOL I have no idea but I couldn't help laughing at the term "pinkie rabbits." Oh wait, actually I think someone told me rodent pro does a nutritional analysis of mice and rats. They may have one for rabbits too.
                    Yeah I got the term from a previous post on here...and in the same thread it was mentioned that pound for pound there is more lean muscle(meat) mass in a rabbit than a rat and especially the older larger rates tend to be more fatty than anything..I have also read that the growth rate on a snake consuming rabbits is allot quicker and healthier than a boa consuming RATS..

Originally posted by mack1time View Post

You also mentioned less damage then a rat?
                    I would still be very cautious as one kick from a good sized rabbit could easily lacerate a snake
                    No maybe someone else said that...I can imagine a bite from a rabbit would be allot worse than a rat bite...

I would never feed a live rabbit...besides it being a danger to the snake...there kinda cute and I really don't want to hear the squeal...the way they do...

I just really think that all in all they might be a better meal than a rat

Comment

[/QUOTE]

I can still get frozen rats, however I cannot keep dead rodents in my freezer nor thaw them for hours with the females I live with.

Comment

Thanks. Im glad I read that before I tried to feed a live rabbit. I kept running the situation over and over in my head becuase I wouldnt dare feed a live mouse or rat and I know rabbits can bite too. I guess I wasnt thinking about the kicks. They do scream something erie..

Comment

i figured a live rabbit would do less harm that a live rat.
                          I keep rabbits and I can tell you this, there teeth are way bigger than a rats and they could easily take a huge chunk out of your boa. Not to mentions the toenails on rabbits get very long and very sharp and could also inflict much damage. Rabbits tend to bite more readily as a defense than rats do, at least with people. You are more likely to get peed on by a rat then bit where an untamed rabbit will just bite you, so I would expect that a rabbit would bite first when attacked by a snake as well. I wouldn't feed any live rodent to a snake, it is just too risky.

As far as nutritional content is concerned, the greatest benefit of rabbits is that they contain less fat than rats which is beneficial especially for older boas. For comparison rabbits usually are made up of anywhere from 62-72% protein and 13-20% fat, where a rat usually is made up of 55-62% protein and 23-33% fat. So basically a rabbit will have about 10% more protein and 10% less fat! For a growing sub adult or juvenile boa the benefit of rabbits over rats really wouldn't be worth the extra cost of the rabbits.

Edit: I know a guy who lost a pet copperhead because of a hamster bite! Cute and cuddly doesn't mean it's not dangerous to a snake!

Comment

and i figured a live rabbit would do less harm that a live rat.
                            Somebody punch me in the face if I ever think like that again.

Comment

There is a video on youtube where a guy feeds a live rabbit to his snake.. But its to a big burm.

Comment

Working...
                              X