Dum Won't Eat F/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Frozen/Thawed] Dum Won't Eat F/T

I have a female Dumerils that just turned 5 months old. When I first got her I tried to feed her f/t rats for 5 weeks and she wouldn't eat them. I gave her a live rat and she ate it right away. I kept her on live until the week before Christmas. From then I've tried f/t once a week with no luck. I use a cardboard box, put her in it, then put that back into her enclosure. That's how I feed live since she's a shy eater and it she' used to it. I've checked the temps of the f/t with a heat gun, poked the brains for a little enticement, done the rat dance on tongs till my arm got sore, left her in the box with the f/t for hours and still no luck. Tonight I gave her live again and she nailed it within seconds. When she was almost done I tried to follow it with f/t. She hit it so I left her alone. I checked on her 15 minutes later and it was still there. I'm not sure what else to do. I give my python the f/t she won't eat and he's starting to get fat from all the treats. Any tips I haven't tried would be appreciated.

Re: Dum Won't Eat F/T

I'm actually having thesame problem with of my baby Dum's I produced

I can't figure out what the deal is

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

While I have never worked with Dumerils, here are a few tricks that have worked for me in the past, on different PICKY eaters. You've probably already tried these, but just in case...

You say she is eating live, first try to get her over to fresh killed. First try giving her a rat that has just been knocked in the head so its still twitching. If she will take that a couple of times, then try her on a fresh killed that is still warm. If she'll take these, then try warming up a F/T for a couple of minutes with a hair dryer to imitate body heat.

You may also try putting the thawed rat in a container with a live rat for a little while so it will pick up some of the scent of the live rat (just don't leave to long enough that the live one decides to snack on the thawed one).

I hope this helps, and good luck with her.

Mark

Comment

Mark pretty much said everything I was gonna say.

Have you tried leaving the f/t in the cage overnight? I know that worked for me.

Good luck with it though!

-Sean in NoCal
        “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
        -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I've tried leaving the f/t in with her for about 4 hours. I've also put a f/t in with the live for an hour to pick up it's scent. I guess my next step is fresh Killed. Do you just put the rat in a bag and wack it on something? I don't mind too much when the snake kills the rat but I've never done it myself. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Boo View Post
            I've tried leaving the f/t in with her for about 4 hours. I've also put a f/t in with the live for an hour to pick up it's scent. I guess my next step is fresh Killed. Do you just put the rat in a bag and wack it on something? I don't mind too much when the snake kills the rat but I've never done it myself. Thanks for the responses.
            yep just put them in a pillow case you don't want and wack it on the floor or
            brick wall outside. Some have put a cup or glass over the back of the neck and hit the glass that will snap it or hold it with the glass on the back of the neck
            and pull the tale that will seperate it's vertibrate.

Comment

yep everyone hear pretty much covered what you need to do....

def.. should to start with fresh kill and for the frozen thawed try using un-chlorinated water....

good luck

Comment

I tried f/k tonight and she gobbled it right up. I didn't even need the feeding box I usually put in her cage. I wasn't too thrilled about doing the killing myself. I put the rat in a plastic bag and wacked it on the floor. Then I looked inside and the rat was looking at me like *** was that. Two more shots to the floor and it was over. Plucked it out with my tongs and she grabbed it right away. Didn't even have to do the dance. Should I do this a few more weeks then try f/t again?

Comment

I'm glad to hear that she took it right away. I'd give her at least one more, and preferably two more feedings of fresh killed to make sure she's used to non-moving prey. Then try her on a warmed F/T. Like I said, a hair dryer works great for this. If you don't have a hair dryer, you can put the thawed rat in a plastic bag and float it in warm water until it gets up to body temperature. Good luck, and keep us posted on her progress.

Mark

Comment

I have same problem with my dum are they known to be picky eaters like bp's?

Comment

I was going to suggest prekilled/freshkilled also. One of my pythons just went on a 6 week refusal of frozen. Prekilled = gobble gobble for me too!

I'll let you in on a secret to plastic bags. You need to do 3-5 x whacks most times because if you hit them too hard to do a 1 shot kill your bag will rip open. I use 3 walmart bags and they still rip a hole in the bottom most times. I use a concrete wall on in the basement vs the floor but I think most will yeild similar result. Pillow case is probably better but I seem to have endless walmart bags!

I don't think anyone really enjoys killing them...so dont feel too bad on that.

Comment

It's much easier to kill the prey if you picture Senator Nelson's face on the rat.......

Hmmmm, I prolly shouldn't have said that.
                        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I did the fresh killed again tonight and she ate it right away. Maybe one more time then I'll try f/t. This time I used the 3 bag method and 3 hits to the floor. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

that's great to hear. Tuesday is my feed day and my problem eater also snatched up another prekilled in record time ... I don't plan to do f/t on her for another 2 feedings since she went 6 weeks without but hopefully we can find a way to swap them.

once I can build my gas chamber I'm definitly going to quick whacking them Lol so they better learn to love frozen!

Good luck with your next feedings !

Comment

Originally posted by Reyes81487 View Post
                              I have same problem with my dum are they known to be picky eaters like bp's?
                              Dumerils are shy eaters for sure. I hear this a lot. Most of the time they want to be left alone. My Dumerils, was shy, she wouldn't let me watch so I would leave her in the dark to eat the f/t.

I didn't find her to have any trouble with the f/t, she didn't refuse it. But I did note that if there was too much light either from her heat lap or a regular lamp, she wouldn't eat.

She's grown out of this now and gobbles up everything. I never worry about her not eating. She's not picky.

I don't think Dumerils are nearly as picky as BPs. I also don't think they fast like BPs do either.

But that is just what I've found.

Comment

Working...
                              X