Size & Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] Size & Switch Question

I just weighed my hog island boa and he is 200g on an empty stomach and about 2 feet...I want to move him up to rats instead of mice, but the small rats I have are 50g. Do you think he could handle it?

Re: Size & Switch Question

I would go with fuzzy rats every week not small rats...but the important thing here is to make sure that the rat has the same girth as your snake at its fatest point...maybe 10% more at the most....

Comment

I bought my boa from this guy in Utah. TSK - The Snake Keeper He seems like a reliable source of info, been in business for 15 years, been breeding for 2 decades. He told me no rats (of any size) for the first year.

You didn't say how old yours was, but as long as he is a year old and the thickness of the rat isn't much more than your snakes diameter, I'd say it would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
        I bought my boa from this guy in Utah. TSK - The Snake Keeper He seems like a reliable source of info, been in business for 15 years, been breeding for 2 decades. He told me no rats (of any size) for the first year.

You didn't say how old yours was, but as long as he is a year old and the thickness of the rat isn't much more than your snakes diameter, I'd say it would be fine.

TSK are the Sutherlands(sp) and they are very reliable well known breeders.

I have to say I don't use that practice. When I feel my Boas are ready to
        move to sml rats, I feed small rats.

That's when their growth really takes off at that point !

Appropriately sized food is important , not too big not too sml !

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

i just switched my 09 anery to rat fuzzies(19g) a couple of weeks ago. . .hes pushing 200g right now. . .prior to that he was on hopper mice (10g) since we got him. . .rats are better i learned from everyone here. . .again like others stated, as long as the rats are no bigger than 110% of your snakes girth you should be alright. . .hope this helps. . .

Comment

Working...
          X