Boa not feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boa not feeding

Ok so I'm reading everyone's responses and am learning a lot. I, too am experiencing the same. ( redtail boa, refuses to eat. Last feeding almost a month ) it too tastes the air next to my thawed offering just like normal but is un interested. So if he is in hibernation mode, even though my heat is 84 at it's lowest, how do I know when he is ready to start eating again? My redtail is very active when I handle him which is the usual sign that he's ready, yet I have had no success in two attempts thus far..

Re: Longest your bloods gone without eating?

I don't think a boa or tropical hibernates, could be wrong though.

Did you try a prekilled/fresh killed? That fixed my problem in about 25 seconds and boy she was HUNGRY. If they are active they are burning energy and needing it replaced. I would try whacking a live one so its fresh and giving that a go. Probably fix you right up

Not only did that work for me, but there's another thread about a boa doing the same where a fresh killed was gobbled right up also, but they would not take frozen. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by bterrill View Post
      I don't think a boa or tropical hibernates, could be wrong though.

Did you try a prekilled/fresh killed? That fixed my problem in about 25 seconds and boy she was HUNGRY. If they are active they are burning energy and needing it replaced. I would try whacking a live one so its fresh and giving that a go. Probably fix you right up

Not only did that work for me, but there's another thread about a boa doing the same where a fresh killed was gobbled right up also, but they would not take frozen. Give it a try.
      Well I just might have to go that route but the thing is, I've been feeding f/t for a year now... And just now he is refusing the food. He just finished shedding as well. So he SHOULD be hungry but isn't eating. ( sorry about jacking the thread.)

Comment

I moved your posts to a new thread. You should get better answers here instead of in someone elses thread.

In my personal experience boas don't go off feed like pythons do unless something is wrong. Most of the time it is due to your husbandry being off or it could be many other things. Boas do not hibernate or brumate as it should be called. Your ambient temps should stay at 80 t0 82 and your basking spot should be at 90 or 92. Your humidity should be over 50%. Why don't you tell us a little about your set up and your snake and maybe we can figure out what is wrong.

Comment

Re: Boa not feeding

My male Nic just went off food for 2 months straight, the whole time he was extremely active, toward the end he was actually acting scared of the rat. I am convinced my guy was just responding to the breeding season as there is a large female right next to him (but from what I've read simple barometric pressure changes can make them go into breeding mode) Just as my guy was getting all squishy looking and starting to act a little lazy I decided it was time for a vet visit. Before taking him though I thought I would try feeding again...I got the most aggressive feeding response ever from him and he wolfed that rat down. Just keep offering ( I know it sucks to waste the rats ) as long as there are no real health or husbandry issues he will eat again for you, they won't starve themselves for no reason. Like Chris said, post your enclosure specifics and that will help figure out what is going on, but again, don't worry too much. These guys were designed to go long periods without eating.

Mat.

Comment

Maybe he just got shy? My big boa was fed live rats before I got him and they said the rats barely made it to the bottom of the cage before they were struck but didnt eat for the first 2 months I had him then I finally just put a thawed rat in his cage and left him alone, half an hr later i checked and it was half way down his throat.

I NEVER feed live so I was getting worried that he would only eat live. But when I threw in a stunned, still twitching rat, he acted scared. Im glad hes eating fresh killed and or frozen/thawed now.

Comment

Originally posted by clsutt29 View Post
              I moved your posts to a new thread. You should get better answers here instead of in someone elses thread.

In my personal experience boas don't go off feed like pythons do unless something is wrong. Most of the time it is due to your husbandry being off or it could be many other things. Boas do not hibernate or brumate as it should be called. Your ambient temps should stay at 80 t0 82 and your basking spot should be at 90 or 92. Your humidity should be over 50%. Why don't you tell us a little about your set up and your snake and maybe we can figure out what is wrong.
              Ok I have him in a melamine type enclosure. He is only a year old. About 3-1/2 - 4' long anf eating small to medium rats. I have ONLY fed him f/t without ever having any feeding issues. He just shed a great full shedding with no tears or incidents. My humidity stays 50-60%. cool side about 84-79 and basking side 90-94. I have no lights and used newspaper for bedding. I have a water dish which I have NEVER seen him use and a nice big hide. The cage is 4'x2'x18". My temps are regulated by a thermostat to emulate day and night temps. He looks very healthy and very active for his normal behavior. It's almost as if he is hunting, yet won't eat. I am now wondering if the rat was freezer burned or giving an un- natural smell cause he usually take the rat without much presentation needed. It was the last of a pack of 20. So maybe that might be why. What do you guys think?

Comment

Try a fresh kill small rat, put the snake in a shoebox, put rat in with snake, cover shoebox with towel, wait until morning and snake will have prob eaten. I have to do this from time to time with my albino and it always works. I just put shoe box in his cage, no lights and leave alone.

Comment

maybe it has something to do with breeding? how old is it? are you sure it's a boy? don't snakes "in the mood" not eat or is that just females...?

I don't really know my boas eat even if they dont need to (like I have a leftover from a python)

Comment

bro it's probably the breeding season pair it up Have you noticed weight loss?

Comment

well i dont think he is ready for breeding just yet. I just got off the phone with the breeder and we determined he is about a year old to a year and three months. he seemed to think it was my cage being too large for him and he is too cool, thus throwing him in a hibernative type state. he is 5 days away from a month without food and looks to be very healthy thus far. im not too concerned at this moment. I shortened his cage by half and put the thermostat to maintain an 86 deg temp and see if that works.

and yes i had him sexed before i got him so I am being told by the breeder he is in fact a male.

Comment

Working...
                      X