No announcement yet.

SHedding and Feeding...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] SHedding and Feeding...?

So my baby Alice has just increased from adult mouse to small rat in her food size. So I now feed her every two weeks (on wed.) But as of Tuesday she started to shed and this is her feeding week (this will/should be her second feeding of this size dinner).

My question is, should I wait until she has finished her shedding before I feed her, or should I just feed her anyways? When she sheds, normally her eyes get all milky for about 3 days, then they get pretty clear for about 3 more days, then she will randomly shed all her skin in one night. SO my question is, since it will be about another week before she completely sheds... should I wait to feed her or can I still feed her now?
    I ask because this is a new food size for her and is still more stressful for her to eat at this point and I don't want to upset her during her shed cycle... but then I also do not want to deprive her of her food for another 4 days or so either.

So feed her now or wait until she has shed? :\

Re: SHedding and Feeding...?

Originally posted by popstop785 View Post
    So my baby Alice has just increased from adult mouse to small rat in her food size. So I now feed her every two weeks (on wed.) But as of Tuesday she started to shed and this is her feeding week (this will/should be her second feeding of this size dinner).

My question is, should I wait until she has finished her shedding before I feed her, or should I just feed her anyways? When she sheds, normally her eyes get all milky for about 3 days, then they get pretty clear for about 3 more days, then she will randomly shed all her skin in one night. SO my question is, since it will be about another week before she completely sheds... should I wait to feed her or can I still feed her now?
    I ask because this is a new food size for her and is still more stressful for her to eat at this point and I don't want to upset her during her shed cycle... but then I also do not want to deprive her of her food for another 4 days or so either.

So feed her now or wait until she has shed? :\

Personally, my snakes are on a Tuesday feeding schedule. So if they miss a feeding due to their shed, I wait until the Tuesday after their shed to feed them. Just because I want to give them time between the stress of the shed, and the workout of the feeding. Trust me...if you wait you won't be depriving her. She'll be just fine, and if anything, more eager to eat her meal!

It'd probably be easier on the snake if you wait until after the shed...even if she sheds in the morning, you could feed her that evening. Just give her some time to relax in between workouts. I don't see a problem feeding her the day of or the day after.

Comment

A lot of people here feed during shed without problems. I give them the week off. I think it's just personal preferance so the choice is really yours.

I have tried to feed some in shed but they didn't take so I just skip. If they took I would probably feed during shed.

Your snake will be more than fine waiting an extra week, but your snake will be ok if you offer a food item during shed too. They just might not take it, but then again, they might snatch it right up.

Comment

Originally posted by bterrill View Post
        A lot of people here feed during shed without problems. I give them the week off. I think it's just personal preferance so the choice is really yours.

I have tried to feed some in shed but they didn't take so I just skip. If they took I would probably feed during shed.

Your snake will be more than fine waiting an extra week, but your snake will be ok if you offer a food item during shed too. They just might not take it, but then again, they might snatch it right up.
        Same thing here. Most of my snakes however do always feed during shed. It's only usaully my one ball python that won't eat. But on occasion my normal rtb won't. It's probably good if they do because it might help with there shed by stretching there skin a bit. Just my opinion.

Comment

Well she's already two days past her feeding date and I would like to keep her on her wed. sched so I think I will just wait until next wed.

I just wanted to make sure it was alright with her skipping for another week and what not since she is still a baby so-to-speak and I just want the best for her is all.

Thanks for you help everyone. I feel better now.
          After she sheds I am going to put her in her new boaphile cage that I just got in the mail two days ago. The inside light was forgot to be shipped with it, but as soon as she sheds, I get the forgotten light and she eats... she'll get her final and complete cage. She'll be happy I'm sure!

Once again, thanks for everyone's help and answers!

Comment

There's no hard and fast rule here. Some will feed during shed some don't. I don't. If my snakes are in shed in feeding day, they wait until the next feeding day.

The best advice I can give you is; do what is most comfortable for you and your snake.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
            X