?? frozen rats ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Frozen/Thawed] ?? frozen rats ??

i have decided to start feeding frozen rats....ive seen the debates that you guys have had on here so i dont even wanna go there....my questions are more to preparing and shelf life of the frozen prey im new to this type of feeding so any info will be helpful
    Last edited by weird_science04; 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM. Reason: Fixed title to say "frozen"

Re: ?? fronen rats ??

Originally posted by demon6 View Post
    i have decided to start feeding frozen rats....ive seen the debates that you guys have had on here so i dont even wanna go there....my questions are more to preparing and shelf life of the frozen prey im new to this type of feeding so any info will be helpful
    I thaw mine out in ziplock bags in luke warm water until soft and then give them a short heat up in warmer water. The rats stay dry in the bags. Shelf life though... I only buy for a month or two at a time. So they are never in the freezer too long.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I buy no more that 6-8 weeks worth. If you vacuum seal each on individually, (which takes FOREVER)they'll last a long time.

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I do what Tim does to thaw out the rats. I order about 2 months worth of rats and mice. After that, I only feed if they don't have black bellies and I reorder more. Once I get the new order, I toss the other ones in the trash.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

I don't use water to thaw my rats. I line a big sterilite tub with paper towels and lay them out on there. When I have rabbits and jumbos to feed, I lay those out the night before. I let them thaw at room temp. I've never had a problem feeder with this method so I don't take the time to warm them up first.

They're good for 6 months in the freezer, maybe a little longer if you have a good deep freezer. I'm with Tim though, I only keep a 2 month supply on hand. If I had a 6 month supply of rats and rabbits it would take up way too much freezer space.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Re: ?? frozen rats ??

id agree on the two months guideline, although they are perfectly safe to use after, your snake can often tell that the rat or rabbit isnt fresh and dont take it, but i have never had a problem with the 2 month guideline!

and I do a combination - i thaw at room temp - takes a while for larger things, i get things out in the morning, feed in evening. they defrost in bags with a knot tied in the top, then when completely defrosted, throw em in a sink of warm water for 5 mins to get a nice rodent body temp, then offer them on tongs, NEVER had a boa refuse one - cant say the same for my ball pythons they drive me up the wall at the best of times! but there you go! ha ha

josh

Comment

Re: ?? frozen rats ??

I put mine in a tub of cold water to thaw out for about 1 hour (Size of Rat Pending), drain it and fill it up with hot water for about 10 min and thats it. Then pending on snakes personality I have to take it further .... Boas not prob they will take the wet rat along with a couple BP's but I do have two picky BP's(Go figure a Picky BP..hmm) one I dry with a paper towel and the other I have to blow dry. lol as far as shelf life this might help you and maybe any other questions Frozen Mice, Frozen Feeder Animals : FAQs

Comment

Working...
              X