thawing rats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rats/Mice] thawing rats?

what is the method that you use to thaw rats?

I have been thawing in a pitcher filled with very hot water, was a simple task with small rats and mice but now that im onto large/jumbo rats my method has been resulting in the skin of the rat 'sloughing' off when i pick it up (i guess since it is taking longer to thaw and warm up the rats insides)

so how do you guys do it?

Re: thawing rats?

i take mine out and put them in the fridge the night before and then take them out on feeding day and let them sit for a little bit.

Comment

lol that wont work for me, im lucky i got the girls in my house to accept that the one draw in the freezer is for my rats... i dont think they will give up any territory in the fridge

Comment

if i was you i would just sit them out earlier in the day in some cold water and let them slowly defrost then.

Comment

I do the same as jefrow, put them in the fridge overnight and then set them out to warm-up a little. Sometimes if I am cooking I will warm them up near the stove lol, this really grosses Jimmy out, so that's an added bonus for me =P. Could you maybe.. sneak them into the fridge once everyone is asleep and sneak them out in the morning??
          RedTailedDexter
          Snake Maniac
          Last edited by RedTailedDexter; 03-27-2011, 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

being sneaky is an option, the method I just used (very hot water bottle) worked pretty well, rat actually had a 'warm blooded' feel when i picked it up.. I was actually hesitant about letting the rats sit around to defrost but I always assumed that once the rat began thawing the decomposition process would start up again

Comment

Originally posted by jefrow View Post
              i take mine out and put them in the fridge the night before and then take them out on feeding day and let them sit for a little bit.
              This is what I do as well

if i was you i would just sit them out earlier in the day in some cold water and let them slowly defrost then.
              this is a good option as well

Comment

Originally posted by RedTailedDexter View Post
                I do the same as jefrow, put them in the fridge overnight and then set them out to warm-up a little. Sometimes if I am cooking I will warm them up near the stove lol, this really grosses Jimmy out, so that's an added bonus for me =P. Could you maybe.. sneak them into the fridge once everyone is asleep and sneak them out in the morning??
                LMBO I had to share this! I told Jimmy that I made this post about how I enjoy grossing him out and he looks at me and says "Tell them I am buying you a freezer... not sure when but you bet your butt I am buying you, your own private freezer for those things." LMBO!!!! that made my day ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by docdubz07 View Post
                  the method I just used (very hot water bottle) worked pretty well,
                  sometimes if you defrost them to fast in hot water they can split open. just to let you know. when i was defrosting with water i always used cold to defrost them then warmed them up with some hot water.

Comment

LMBO I had to share this! I told Jimmy that I made this post about how I enjoy grossing him out and he looks at me and says "Tell them I am buying you a freezer... not sure when but you bet your butt I am buying you, your own private freezer for those things." LMBO!!!! that made my day ^_^

haha thats one way to get your way huh? As soon as i save some money im getting one to since i will be moving in with some friends and im sure they dont want rats in their fridge.

Comment

haha thats one way to get your way huh? As soon as i save some money im getting one to since i will be moving in with some friends and im sure they dont want rats in their fridge.
                      sweet deal =) is it bad that I REALLY want to get a fake/rubber mouse or rat and position it in the fridge in JUST a way so that when the door opens it falls out and scares the day lights out of Jimmy or whoever is over?? *giggles* Oie I am evil.

Comment

I REALLY want to get a fake/rubber mouse or rat and position it in the fridge in JUST a way so that when the door opens it falls out and scares the day lights out of Jimmy or whoever is over??
                        do it and get it on video.

sorry to the OP for getting a little off topic.

Comment

do it and get it on video.

sorry to the OP for getting a little off topic.
                          Def =D and yes sorry OP for getting off topic, hope you got a little kick out of it though!

Comment

We thaw them out in ziplock bags in luke warm water. Turn them over about an hour into defrosting and let them sit for another hour and and heat them up with 80 - 90 degree water for 5 or 10 minutes before feeding.

Using too hot of water will actually cook the rat. Some will actually split open.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I use water, and have for years. The temp gun let me get a good system down for dethawing and getting good feed responses in about 1 1/2 hoursish. 2 if im doing up some super big rats

Comment

Working...
                              X