Took frozen thawed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Frozen/Thawed] Took frozen thawed!

It's been 2 weeks since we brought our boa home and one thing is for certain after some research. Do not feed live! I have to say that concerned me because of past attempts with ball pythons and not being successful at getting them to take frozen thawed(though I did not make the best effort). The first feeding was live about a week ago, so today I got a frozen mouse and some hemostats and gave it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised that she did not even hesitate to take it. The issue I ran into is the size of the mouse. Would any of you say a small mouse would be the same as a small adult mouse? The first was called a small from one place and today's was called a small adult. It was a bit challenging to see the difference with one being live and this one today frozen. Our boa is about 3 and a half months, is a small adult mouse good size?

Re: Took frozen thawed!

Excellent news! Boas are nowhere near as picky about eating as ball pythons. Not that my beeper has ever been picky.
    Originally posted by Chris650 View Post
    Our boa is about 3 and a half months, is a small adult mouse good size?
    The rule of thumb is that the prey should be about the same girth as the snake. You should be able to see a barely noticeable lump when they're done. if there's no lump, time to bump up the prey size. If the lump is too big, back down a bit.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Re: Took frozen thawed!

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
      ....The rule of thumb is that the prey should be about the same girth as the snake. You should be able to see a barely noticeable lump when they're done. if there's no lump, time to bump up the prey size. If the lump is too big, back down a bit.
      Great advice! And you aren't the only one frustrated by the way different sources label the prey size...unfortunately it "goes with the territory" & you'll get the hang of buying frozen. Some go so far as describing them
      by weight but then you need an accurate digital scale... I've known my share of ball pythons & while they're adorable snakes, I'd rather feed a boa ANY DAY! Thanks for feeding pre-killed prey. (there are some safer
      ways to trick BP's into taking f/t...if you still have the BP?)

Comment

Working...
      X