Feeding time frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] Feeding time frame

I currently have two 2013 boas, a male and a female. The male is eating a small rat every week and the female is eating a medium every week. I want to get them both bigger, could I increase them both to feeding every 5 days? My female is 3.6lbs as of the last weigh in a week ago, the male seems much smaller than that. I would like to try and get the female up to breeding weight by next year. What do you guys think?

Re: Feeding time frame

You're female is at least a season or two away from breeding. Boas aren't ball pythons. You can't stuff them with eats to get them up to weight to breed. Be patient with the girl. She'll grow and MATURE to the proper size in time. Breeding boas takes time and patience.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Is there a guideline for what a boa should generally weigh for a certain age? I know their growth seems to slow down by about year 2, but I'm trying to learn. My 2012 RC Pastel male is about 5-6ft and almost 9 lbs. Should I expect the female to get to that size in the next year?

Comment

In my opinion, boas are way to variable to have any weight/age guideline. Please don't be in a hurry to breed the female at 3 years old. Yes it can be done, but the results are likely less desirable for both the offspring and the female from what I have read, I have never bred a snake that young so don't know from personal experience, just what has been done by others. Successful breeding is based on not only size but also age/maturity. It is proven that power feeding and early breeding can drastically lower the lifespan of a female boa. It is also my opinion that feeding rats every 5 days is a bad idea and a good way to get an obese boa. Look online, even on this site and you will see may examples of obese boas, you can spot them by their bodies looking like Burmese pythons(even though I think most captive Burms are overweight as well), kind of flat and oval looking. This is not what boas are supposed to look like, they are a lean and muscular snake that climb trees, so many people have boas that would fall right out of a tree, rather sad if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
        X