First time off feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] First time off feed

Owned her 4 years, never once refused a meal. Frozen/thawed the whole time. Hasn't eaten now in 5 weeks. Thought I knew all the tricks to make 'em bite...apparently not! lol

Re: First time off feed

Anything change? different feeders ? temp or locations/lighting/foot traffic? mites?

When was the last shed ? my bet is shed cycle , and maybe the signs aren't there as the shed cycle can be slow as they age. i had one female who would not eat for 2 intervals and was cranky , could not figure it out till her eyes finally clouded up , after shed she ate like normal . I have missed the clouded eyes before also , and my oldest female seems to go thru a good 3+ week cycle of shedding from beginning to end and sheds maybe every 4 to 5 months. they rarely eat for me when in shed cycle .

i had one younger male who stopped eating , not near breeding season and no idea why .finally i put a big soaking bowl for a few days and sure enough , he soaked and had a huge poop then ate fine a few days later.

they can miss several meals without issue , specially males in breeding mode wont eat for several months some times , but a older boa out of season after 4 or 5 missed meals i would make a vet visit.

Comment

She refused two meals before shed and now one post shed. She's fed before during shed with no issues though. Nothing has changed in the last 4 years. Same rats and everything. I'm not worried, just frustrating thawing out rats 3 different times and each time throwing them out. She's still got girth not thin or anything we'll just ride it out. Gotta eat eventually

Comment

Originally posted by BoigaBoid View Post
        She refused two meals before shed and now one post shed. She's fed before during shed with no issues though. Nothing has changed in the last 4 years. Same rats and everything. I'm not worried, just frustrating thawing out rats 3 different times and each time throwing them out. She's still got girth not thin or anything we'll just ride it out. Gotta eat eventually
        When she "refused two meals before shed" was that one offer shortly after another? or at normal meal intervals? If close together I'd chalk them both up to the normal pre-shed food refusal. (apparently you've gotten
        away with feeding her in shed but maybe she's starting to feel differently about that now...it does cause problems for some snakes, as both shedding and digestion utilize extra hydration). I don't think you mentioned how
        often you are feeding her either? Maybe she truly needs a longer interval now between meals. Still, most snakes do want to eat post-shed...so pay close attention for any clues that other health issues might be the cause.
        And as always, be patient...

Comment

Regular interval is 2-3 weeks, usually 3. Fed once, she refused. Waited a week tried again, refused. Then she shed a few days ago so tried feeding again (approx 1 week after previous attempt) refused again.

I'm out of town for the week so will try again next Sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by BoigaBoid View Post
            Regular interval is 2-3 weeks, usually 3. Fed once, she refused. Waited a week tried again, refused. Then she shed a few days ago so tried feeding again (approx 1 week after previous attempt) refused again.

I'm out of town for the week so will try again next Sunday!
            Nothing wrong with your interval...but a snake with good body weight that skips some meals is nothing to panic over. You might wait a couple weeks before offering again. It won't hurt & might help diagnostically.
            And I'm assuming (since we're not seeing this snake here) that she's not overweight? There really may be a cause for concern...snakes are good at masking symptoms. Have you had a look in her mouth? A mouth
            infection (sore mouth) might make a snake refuse food...time for you to play "detective".

Comment

Working...
            X