Finally got bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding-General] Finally got bit

Decided I was going to upgrade my girl who is 4 and some change long to Med sized rats. Unfortunately for me I decided to handle her while I had the rat near me. So I assume she smelled the rat and since my hand was closest to her mouth she went for it. Got it all on video too.

It was a quick nip but I got hit twice. One full bite mark and the second was when she let go her teeth slid across my skin.

I dropped her about 10 inches (her body was already touching the tank so only about a foot of her was left to put down) and she landed right face to face with rhe rat.

Rat didn't even stand a chance. She smelled and 2 seconds later she grabbed his face and pulled him in.

Gobbled him up and that's the way the cookie crumbled.

CMEdge

Re: Finally got bit

Welcome to the club!
    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Yes, welcome to the club, the only part that sucks is now that you are in, you cant get out!

Comment

Oh that little nip? 'grats! You said "rat didn't stand even stand a chance"...? I do hope you're feeding dead prey?...if you want to see an impressive bite, wait 'til you see what a live rat can do to your beautiful snake.
        (Please don't let that happen to her!)

Comment

Welcome to the getting tagged club LOL.. I once did that & never did it ever again. But at times I forget that when I have my retic out roaming the house. For some reason I always about to feed one of my boas and my retic comes out of nowhere and takes the feeder rat out out my hand LOL. Note to self: never handle a snake with a rat in your hand.
          sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
            ...Note to self: never handle a snake with a rat in your hand.
            If you're trying to decide if your hand is numb, that's a good way to find out...(LOL)

Comment

[MENTION=5796]noelle[/MENTION] 7206 you are absolutely right LOL
              sigpicJrock23

Comment

Food bites are the worst. I was doing the "zombie dance" with a f/t large rat for one of my big girls, dumb me grabbed the short tongs. My 6' boa blew past the rat, grabbed my hand at the base of my thumb, wrapped my arm and wrist, and held on. After several minutes she let go but since she was wrapped and foody she hit me a few more times for good measure. I had to get the rat in front of her face so she'd hit that before I could get her slid off my arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                  Oh that little nip? 'grats! You said "rat didn't stand even stand a chance"...? I do hope you're feeding dead prey?...if you want to see an impressive bite, wait 'til you see what a live rat can do to your beautiful snake.
                  (Please don't let that happen to her!)
                  Her previous owner has always fed live. I have carefully considered switching her to frozen.

CMEdge

Comment

Funny thing about the whole situation was that my wife ran to get the alcohol before I even asked for it. She was ready to pour it on my bite lol.

No swelling and no bruising. Nice story teller. Lol[emoji16]

CMEdge

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
                      Welcome to the getting tagged club LOL.. I once did that & never did it ever again. But at times I forget that when I have my retic out roaming the house. For some reason I always about to feed one of my boas and my retic comes out of nowhere and takes the feeder rat out out my hand LOL. Note to self: never handle a snake with a rat in your hand.
                      Great story, gave me my laugh of the day!!

Comment

Welcome to the club. It took me almost three years of keeping snakes to get my first bite, and now I've gotten it twice in the last month or two. Fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cmont9595 View Post
                          Her previous owner has always fed live. I have carefully considered switching her to frozen.

CMEdge
                          Please take the next step beyond "considering"....she clearly doesn't lack for an appetite & few boas care about eating dead prey....they still pounce with enthusiasm! But if she's injured by a rat bite, it can result
                          in anything from ugly scars on your beautiful pet (that will forever remind you that you could have prevented this) to damage that is severe enough to either kill your snake directly or in time, from an infection that
                          doesn't respond to treatment. I'm sorry if I sound 'preachy'...but think of all the money you'll save at the vet's too...it's just so preventable. Why keep doing what the first owner did...make improvements, eh?
                          And if you think that frozen-thawed rats lack some nutrition or appeal (being 'less fresh'), just feed freshly killed.

Comment

I already know the benefits to feeding "deader is better" Noelle. Thanks for the advice.

CMEdge

Comment

Working...
                            X