No announcement yet.

What kind of kill technique is this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feeding Issue] What kind of kill technique is this???

My boa just grabbed the frozen rat I dropped by the tail and apparently thought she was an excellent hunter.

Re: What kind of kill technique is this???

My snakes do this sometimes too....this certainly proves that need to feed only dead prey....sooner or later they all make a bad grab!

Comment

Looks like he may have mistaken the rat for a bowl of spaghetti. lol
      "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

LOL... I guess the bedding in his mouth are the meat balls to get with his spaghetti
        sigpicJrock23

Comment

I have a male that does that almost every time, and then he drags it around for a while before wrapping it. I swear he'd never make it in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
            I have a male that does that almost every time, and then he drags it around for a while before wrapping it. I swear he'd never make it in the wild.
            LOL! I had a snake that no matter how helpfully I presented his prey (usually head first!) he always went for the opposite end!? Just to be 'contrary' I suppose? I guess yours wants a "pull-toy"? ha ha ha....

Comment

How do they even survive in the wild?

Comment

Originally posted by ShivaCamo View Post
                How do they even survive in the wild?
                Many don't, sadly...nature is pretty harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                  Many don't, sadly...nature is pretty harsh.
                  I mean that they would be to the point of extinction with the level of skill I generally see.

Comment

Originally posted by ShivaCamo View Post
                    I mean that they would be to the point of extinction with the level of skill I generally see.
                    Well, since they aren't extinct in the wild (except where humans have intervened) it clearly shows that those who survive & reproduce have learned better techniques as they've gone through life. Some people are of

the opinion that snakes don't learn, that they are merely "instinctive", which to me is utter nonsense. They learn their way around in the wild...where to hide from the elements & predators. As captives they clearly

learn to accept handling as non-threatening (at least, most do...and depending on the attitude & skill of the handler too). And remember that from the time they are hatched or born in the wild, they're going to be way

more motivated to get it right & have a meal...food doesn't appear "on schedule", and with each catch they're gaining skills. Actually, I've observed both appetite stimulation and far more "attitude" in snakes exposed

to natural sunlight, so I think that's a factor as well. Our pets get lazy...just as most of us would no longer make successful cave-dwellers & hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                      Well, since they aren't extinct in the wild (except where humans have intervened) it clearly shows that those who survive & reproduce have learned better techniques as they've gone through life. Some people are of

the opinion that snakes don't learn, that they are merely "instinctive", which to me is utter nonsense. They learn their way around in the wild...where to hide from the elements & predators. As captives they clearly

learn to accept handling as non-threatening (at least, most do...and depending on the attitude & skill of the handler too). And remember that from the time they are hatched or born in the wild, they're going to be way

more motivated to get it right & have a meal...food doesn't appear "on schedule", and with each catch they're gaining skills. Actually, I've observed both appetite stimulation and far more "attitude" in snakes exposed

to natural sunlight, so I think that's a factor as well. Our pets get lazy...just as most of us would no longer make successful cave-dwellers & hunters.
                      That was a great way to describe animals in captivity.

Comment

I wonder if snakes go through a learning process of best way to make a kill? Right now, Hurly doesn't want me to do the zombie rat dance for him. If I do the zombie rat dance in front of him, he'll stick his head underneath himself until I go away. He wants me to put it down in front of him and leave him to it. Even if I put it right in front of him nose-first, he tries different ways of eating it-sideways, taco-style, butt-first, pull it apart first-and thrashing around to get it loose from his mouth to try the next method of swallowing it. Finally when he's had it with experimenting, he'll swallow it head-first or let me present it to him that way. I don't know if he's being a complete dingbutt or if he's being incredibly stubborn. But the last three times I've fed him, he's done this. Aargh, snakes!

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                          Caveman style!

Comment

Working...
                          X