No announcement yet.

Weaned rabbits or medium rats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rabbits] Weaned rabbits or medium rats?

So my local reptile shop now stocks all sizes of frozen rabbits. My 6' girl is on medium rats right now but i'm thinking of trying a weaned rabbit as that seems to be the closest size to a medium rat. my question is for you guys who feed rabbits, do you feel that there is enough bone and organ development in a weaned rabbit for an adult boa or are they too fatty? I know medium rats and large rats are the best rats for a boa since they are the lowest fat as boas don't handle fat well. I have never tried rabbits though so not sure how fatty or undeveloped a weaned rabbit is.

Re: Weaned rabbits or medium rats?

I think I would hold off on rabbits until you get to needing XL rats and maybe an occasional thing in place large rats. XL rats are very fatty so a rabbit is better at that point. Sometimes giving a little variety is nice for our pets. Imagine eating steak all the time. Wouldn't it be nice for an occasional steak burger?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
      So my local reptile shop now stocks all sizes of frozen rabbits. My 6' girl is on medium rats right now but i'm thinking of trying a weaned rabbit as that seems to be the closest size to a medium rat. my question is for you guys who feed rabbits, do you feel that there is enough bone and organ development in a weaned rabbit for an adult boa or are they too fatty? I know medium rats and large rats are the best rats for a boa since they are the lowest fat as boas don't handle fat well. I have never tried rabbits though so not sure how fatty or undeveloped a weaned rabbit is.
      Get a weight on the rabbit weanlings as they can be deceptive. Rabbits have bigger bones, more muscle, and less fat than a rat, so they pack more grams into a smaller package.

If the rabbit is an appropriate feeder by weight then you could always alternate between the two feeder types.

Comment

Yeah I didn't see a weight but I can check. They said it was the equivalent of a medium rat. And yeah I thought about alternating, just wasn't sure since the rabbits are young, if they have enough development for my boa over medium rats.

Comment

Because a store says something doesn't make it true. Stores will unfortunately more often than not lie to make an easy sale of an uneducated customer. Good thing you're smarter than to take them at their word.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
            Yeah I didn't see a weight but I can check. They said it was the equivalent of a medium rat. And yeah I thought about alternating, just wasn't sure since the rabbits are young, if they have enough development for my boa over medium rats.
            Buy one and weigh it, or take a digital scale to the store with you and weigh it.

I feed kits (rabbit pinkies) to my adult king snakes. The kings love rabbit and it's a feeder they would definitely eat in the wild if given the opportunity should mama rabbit fail to guard the nest.

My adult savu python, juvenile BRB's, juvenile Dums, and Tarahumara boas also will happily take rabbit kits or fuzzies. My picky ball pythons will refuse them though.

Comment

Working...
            X