This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help....need help one more time

I adopted a 6 foot red tail boa a few days ago. The story before I got is was it was found in a shopping cart left to die in a rain storm. They told me it had a RI but was finsihed with antibotics and all clear for adoption. I get it home and it is still wheezing for blowing a small ammount of bubbles. It stopped getting antibotics a week ago. Should I do something or just keep the heat up. He is still eating and active. This snake has been through enough. I don't want anything to happen to it. I have kept snakes for years butr I have never had one get sick. This one came that way. I was told it was all clear. Please email me some information.

Re:Please Help

You need to keep the humidity lower in the enclosure of a snake with a RI . The ultimate care guide at the top of the screen should also be very helpfull
    A trip to a herp vet would be the best thing . Especially since he is new to you ,and anabused adoption.

GoodLuck

Comment

Hi Peaches1926 ,

Welcome to the forum..

It sound like he still has a case of RI.. If you can I would get him back to the Vet, another dose of antibotics may be needed. Just make sure until you can get him to the vet, make sure you keep the temps abit warmer then normal with no night drop in temps.

The most important thing to remember with RI is that since snakes do not have a diaphram they can expel the mucus by coughing. So the high temps thin out the mucus and let it clear out better. The snakes I have dealt with that had RI I would keep their tank 87 on the cool side, 93 on the hot side, and I always kept the humidity like always 60-70%

Good luck with him.. keep us posted..

Steve

Comment

8)Deffinately drop the humidity, thats no good for a boa or other snake with RI, and get the cage temps up.. i would get it to a vet and also make sure to keep it far away from any other snakes you have, till its all better for awhile.. Make sure to ask the vet to also give it a shot of vitamin B6-12 as this will also help it recover and help maintain its appitite.. Hope it gets well soon.. Welcome to the forums..

Comment

OK, so here is some conflicting info.. About the humidity.. I have been given totally opisite info reguarding humidity and RI.. One vet would agree with some and say lower the humidity level. The other vet told me, no it is important to keep that humidity up.. Gave me an example that if a human has upper respitory infection besides being kept warm you need to put a humdifier in the room to help break up the congestion.. I have been following the second vets statement and have had no problem with any recovery. I know several on this foum say to lower and some say to keep it the same.. I will only assume both will work..

Maybe we can get Clay's opinion here..

Steve

Comment

Thank you every one for the advice. How long can this go on? I was reading something on the forum about some medicine that is working for people. I was wondering if that medicine was perscription or not. This snake just got out of the clinic. The lady who was fostering him worked for the vet clinic. Will the RI keep coming back. I have read about RI but have never expierenced it. It was just something I read about to watch for it in my snakes. The snake with RI is down stairs all my other snakes are up stairs. They are in great health.

Comment

Peaches1926

It sounds like they tried to treat it. I have seen some vets try very weak antibotics if they think the case is mild. The boa may either need stronger meds or longer time on them. Any idea what they treated him with? How much and how long?

Never just free dose meds to a snake. It could make things worse or kill them.. I would atleast call the place you got the boa fram and ask for info on what the boa was on, how much and for how long..

Good luck
              Steve

Comment

HI,
                Please review the post on resistant RI and print a copy for the Vet if the RI returns. This was news to me and many people loose animals because its not the usual type infection, but a mycoplasam... Mycoplasam is extremly difficult to culture and is often overlooked in humans too... hehe that dang cough that never goes away after that cold and last for three months...

Resistant Respiratory Infection in Boas
                this post is stuck on the first line of this forum.
                Good luck.
                doug

Comment

I am sooo confused now. I contacted my local vet ...he stated that it doesn't sound like my snake has the RI any longer...but every once in a while he seems to sound like he has asthma at first I thought he was hissing at me...he only blew that one bubble the first day I brought him home..he has not done it agian. He does have some scar damage on his nostrils..they seem not to be normal and a little narrow in some spots.. the damage appears recent..it has caused him a slight deformity..like what ever happened..happened to him for a long period of time (remeber this is a rescue snake he could have really been in bad conditions before they found him in the shopping cart)....could be have trouble getting air through them and this is causing the noise? There is no pattern to the noise making..I hear it mostly when I hold him... when he is in his cage... I listen for it..but he just doesn't make the noise. He does not make this noise all the time it is completey random. I got the tank heat up...extra light and heating pad. For the first 4-5 days he stayed in his water dish and as far away from the heat as possible... I added a few things to his tank.. now he stays by the heating pad side. I put a big bark log piece across the corner..he seems to be much happier now. ( I took him in on short notice so the tank was not all set up at first..just the nessesities) He is active...he eats fine...he is not weak at all. I see no snot or any fluids/mucus near his mouth and nostrils. Am I just paronoid? I was told he was all clear..he was checked over thuroughly before I was alowed to adopt him....the women who fostered him works at the clinic he was in...but I heard the noise the first day I got him home. They say he is fine. I do not want my other snakes to get sick ( they are seperated and on seperate floors of the house)and I do not want anything to happen to him....he desearves to live the rest of his life happy and healthy...away from the sick person who left him to die in the rain. He is so sweet...shows no sign of aggression despite the hard life he had. Please any advice..if I am just over reacting then tell me. With the vet telling me it did not sound like RI.. I really would like to see if it could be something else ...the vet says it is $175+ (depending on size and he is over 6 foot) just to have him checked out. Since he was cleared by a vet the day I brought him home last saturday. I hope I do not appear to be ignorant.. I just have always kept good care of my pets and had snakes for years..and they have not gotten an illness before that was serious. I always knew there were illnesses they could get. I kept note of warning signs and looked out for them but never had any problems. So I am really looking for advice....the snake was cleared by a professional...so maybe I am just over reacting .. I even do that when my kids cough ... I automaticaly assume the worst. I hope I am not being a nusaince or sound like I should not own snakes. I really take good care of them..this snake was not in my care when these things happened to him

Comment

Re:Please Help....need help one more time

Hello Peaches,

OK, from what you wrote, it really doesn't sound like RI now. With RI some snakes make alot of popping sounds, some have mucus by their mouth, some spend time with their head straight up and mouth open, some get all of these.. The only way to be 100% sure is to have him looked at by a vet that knows snakes. Now I am not suggesting you do what I would do, but here is what has worked for me. Just make sure the temps in the tank are warm enough and keep an eye on him. One of my boas always makes that sound through her mouth that almost sounds like a hiss. Just breathing, Nothing at all to worry about. Just keep close tabs on him. I would think that would be the best for now until you really notice something to concerned about. If you really are worried, the only way to be sure, like I said above is to take him to a good snake vet.

Good luck and keep us posted..
                    Steve

Comment

Thanks. I really apprciate the help I recieve here. I guess I was just so worried about him since he was sooo sick before he came to me. I will keep an eye on him. I had already follwed the previous instructions about keeping the heat higher and not dropping it at night. Thanks again...maybe next time I will have a good story....all 7 of my other snakes are doing well though.

Comment

Tylan 200 available at most farm supply stores works great on boas,but you should have experiance with doing injections.....also comes in a 50 ml strength,but you will have to use quite a bit on a 6 foot snake,so opt for the 200
                        standard dose is 50mg per kg of body weight using a 25 guage 5/8 inch needle.
                        has worked for me a few times,since i read Jeff Ronne's article on it..but consult your vet on the stuff

Comment

Working...
                        X