This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rat cicle question

ok here is the question, my hubby whom i left in charge to feed the snakes while i was packing for vacation, thawed 2 rats only 1 snake ate one was going into the blue. ok so he took the second rat out of the bowl it was thawing in. it was pretty thaw and refroze it. is that safe or should i chunk that lil sucker out the door. i usually thaw one at atime in case that happens grrrrr men !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:rat cicle question

Hey redtailedmel,

I have always been told that refreezing rats for a second time is OK. Just no more then the two times. Once when they are frozen by your supplier and the if you refreeze once... I personally do not refreeze more then the first time, but I do breed my own, so I am never short on food..

Good luck
    Steve

Comment

Yeah, I've always heard the same thing, too. Myself, just to be on the safe side, I always pitch the unused portion. But then again, I'm often acused of being too careful with such things. :/

Comment

i didnt use it its still there i figured id save it for just incase i have 2 rat cicles left and more on the way hopefully the new rat cicles arrive before i have to resort to using mr icky lmao!!!!

Comment

I have had to re-freeze a rat or two in my day. If you plan to do this though, make sure that you use the re-frozen one first. Once a rat is thawed it will start to decompose and grow bacteria the warmer it gets. Re-freezing it will stop this process, although only temporarily. The longer it sits in the freezer, the quicker it will start to go bad.

Jeff

Comment

I never refreeze them once thawed, but then again I always leave the thawed rat in the cage overnight. If it is not eaten by then for some weird reason, then I throw it away...

I am just lucky I guess, because I have only thrown away 2 or 3 rats ever... And I feed about 50 at a time... ;D
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I will toss a small prey item such as a rat pup as they tend to get quite messy once they are thawed out, but on the larger rats I will re-freeze once. Unlike Clay I dont leave them in the feed tubs overnight. I offer the food and if my snakes dont eat within the first two hours I know they arent going to, so at that point I will re-freeze.
              (I would not re-freeze more than once, I have never had to though. The only time anything is refused in our house by anything other than the BP is when the snake is in blue.)

Comment

I have throwen away about fifty rats.. I don't refreeze... But I am a certifyed food prep./cook so I just kinda' follow the rules for humans... I work two jobs and forget to feed at night somtimes just fall asleep and it cost me but the sleep is worth it... hehe
                You know I will try to feed it to somthing else... I am in the mind set that every once in a while you can ether not feed or feed more then normal and it will do lil' too nothing to your snake... But that is not always the same thing people will say here but most belive in a set day of the week to feed or a set number of days.. I feed when they are hungry... I think steve does the same.... Oh and I do belive that clay feeds in his cages so it is not sitting in a tote or anything like that... (not sure on this one...)
                Eric aka.....Red

Comment

Agree Red,

You are 100% correct. I like them to get active for a few days before they eat. Can't be too healthy to just eat bask and eat. I do break this rule and I am sure you do as well if you need to get some weight on a thin snake or if they are little babies..)

Steve

Comment

my baby i got from clay will eat every sunday on the dot but my other if he aint hungry he wont eat sometimes hell go 7 days or 10 days depends on his moods! but then again when i bought dusty clay said that rusty was approx 8 mos old so now he would be approx 10 months old and right at 4ft long. so im wondering if i should think about feeding him on a longer feeding routine. he still has his tiny head though i hope he gets a bigger head soon he is eating small rats and they are almost too big for his head he looks so funny when he eats. im throwing mr icky out that whole bacteria thing made me sick after seeing rat guts come flying out of the rat i fed dusty yesterday!!! EWWWWWWWWWW

Comment

Working...
                    X