This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheezing surinam

my surinam is wheezing all of a sudden, only slightly, but wheezing. i've been trying to call the vet but i can't get thorugh. anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong with her or what to do about it? any help is very much appreciated. thx

Re:wheezing surinam

Hey StarBomb,

What you decribed is open to interpitation.. It could be the starting of RI, or it could be just the way your snake breaths. To be on the safe side, I would up the temp abit, drop the humidity and watch your baby for a few days, and if it gets worse, get him to a good vet to rule out RI. This is assuming your temps and humidity have been correct all along..

Hope that helps
    Steve

Comment

HI,
      Ive kept acouple BCC for a while ther's one smlling under my name in the picture,, ;D and they like slightly warmer temps than BCI so Iwould raise the temps acouple deg's on the warm and cool side I usally shoot for around 86warm-82cool ambients . And with any RI most boa experts say lower the humidity until its gone.
      You should make a vet appoinment see if he'll teach you how to give injections otherwise its gonna get real expensive going back every couple days for shots, you'll need help holding a boa.
      I ve helped a couple really sick pythons this way and have my vets confidence and he gives me the syringes and the meds for the 10-14 day treaments , if you don't seem improvment in a couple days after starting injections.
      If you don't know much about the Suri I would also reccomend taking a stool sample many animals have multiple problems and then become Ill with RI.. :P
      Good Luck Keep us posted.
      Doug
      ps I found the best repitile Vet In my area with this web page good luck
      http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

PS I removed my endorsment of batril, because of numerous post about it being dangerous for young boa's and my most recent reptile mag ,, had a post about sterile abscesses from multiple injections with batril... holy-mackeral... not reccomended or used by this repile vet ......its on page 10 if you subscribe...
      psps if you order the magazine on line its about 1/4 the cost in the petstore.

SO use what your reptile vet reccomends ...

Comment

I agree with what Doug said, except with BCC's like Surinams, I find that 82 on the cool side and 90 on the hot side has done better for mine..

Good luck..
        Steve

Comment

thx guys, i dunno what it is, cuz she's not doing it anymore, i only heard it three times, and when i say heard it, it was so quiet i could barely pick it up. i was planning on get both my snakes full check ups and stool analysis anyway as soon as the darn vet answers the phone (small town-lazy vets), but until then i'll do what i can. right now the temp is 93 hot side, 83 cool side. i'll keep it there for now and if i hear anymore wheezing or anything that sounds like it could be wheezing i'll bring it down to what u guys have suggested. both my enclosures are at the same temps, my baby bci occupies one and the other is home sweet home for the 4 and a half foot suri (absolutley stunning suri ). they both seem to like the temps that way. anyways, i'm out now, thank you all very much for your suggestions

Comment

Hey StarBomb,

Never a bad idea to get him checked out. It could have been a ton of things that cause the wheeze. Just keep the temps like you said you had them and keep an extra eye open..

Keep us posted, and good luck
            Steve

Comment

ok, just found a vet today and i'll be takeing her and my baby columbian in on saterday. the columbian is fine but i just got the botrh of them a few weeks ago so i want to make sure they're both healthy. till then i'm doing what u guys have suggested for the suri and she seems fine, moderately active, feeding well, and no more wheezing anymore (at least that i can tell). so saterday i'll take them both in and find out what, if anything is going on. i'll post any findings or lack there of when i return. thx again for all the helpfull suggestions. peace

Comment

Hey StarBomb,

That is great you found a vet.. Make sure your vet is very acreful in case he does prescribe anti-botic's.. For snakes under a year it could very well kill them.. I have been reading up on some up-to-date vet info and all signs show that more and more baby snakes under a year are dieing from antibiotics.. Just becareful..

Please do keep us updated on your babies..

Steve

Comment

ok, the vet called and reschedualed the apointment till monday, and like 5 min ago i noticed the suri was wheezing much more noticably and on top of that there is a small discharge of bubbley mucas from the right nostril every third or forth exhale. so yeah, now i am flipping out. from all the stuff i've read on ri and what i've seen with my suri, it looks bad, and from what i've read, when it's bad, it can be lethal. so now the appointment is tomorrow at 8 pm and i'm comeing out of my skin with concern for this poor boa. i'm hopeing that she can be effectivly treated...what do u guys think...? thx for anything...anything at all....

Comment

Hi StarBomb,

Bummer the vet rescheduled. For this next week, Just make sure you keep the temp a little higher and drop the humidity some. As for the Surinam, that sounds like RI.. I would get them both in. It is common for one boa to get sick the other one will follow. I would up the temps for the surinam as well and drop the humidity till you can get him to the vet as well.. I have been doing alot of research on meds as of late. If the boas have RI, suggest Tylan 200 for the treatment. Seems alot safer for the sankes then baytril or a few others I read about..
                    \
                    Good Luck
                    Steve

Comment

ok,when i said monday, i meant this moday, as in today, sorry for the confusion. anywayz, i just got back and the vet said the suri has a minor case of ri, and the columbian is fine, she said to up the temp for the suri to somwhere between 95 and 105 for the hotside and put the cool side at85-90. i questioned her at first but she told me she has done the same for thirty years for her 50 plus boas and pythons. anyway, if that does'nt clear it up or the infection gets worse she's gonna have me come back for some antibiotic shots. the stool analysis for both boas came back great, so i'm quite relieved. again, thank u all for ur invaluable help. someday i hope to return the favor. peace

Comment

Hey StarBomb,

That is good news.. Means the Surinam only had the start. I agree that in the first phase of RI upping the heat normally clears in up in a couple of weeks.. The drop in the humidity is also important, just not so low you end up with skin problems.. I prefer to drop it to about a steady 30%.. As for those temps.. I won't tell you not to follow the vets advise, but I will say I have had 100% luck with putting the hot side up to about 93 with a floor temp of 95 and up the cool side to about 86-87..

Just keep a close eye on the temps if you up them to 105.. That is abit high for boas. Pythons seem to handle heat better then boas do...

Good luck and keep us posted...

Steve

Comment

HI,
                          I ve noticed many vet want to simulate a fever in a boa by rasing the temps to higher than normal period to improve the immune response and clear up that infection.
                          My vet told me that even if a snake is on the correct antibiotic it may not improve until the temps are raised to simulate a fever. This really seems to help, many reptile keepers use the increased temps as a treatment first and the go to the vets if its not resolved in a very short time..
                          Good luck with your Suri.
                          PS many cages (fish tanks) have hot spots and cool spots , I ve had 40 critter floor with uth under it at 110 with a thermostat and the ambients only 78.. SO you can see how difficult it can be to have the correct temps for a sick boa. :
                          Since I ve gone to enlosed heat in wood or melainin cage I ve seen very little temp gradients in my cages there are some gradients its just not the extremes I had with glass. To be sure I actually purchased a temp infared gun to measure temps in my cages to be sure my ambients in 100% of the cage are correct for that species, According to the boaphile if your temps are off as little as 2 degrees cooler you can have more sluggs or stillborns in a litter or clutch of boa's. temps is proabably the most critical element in keeping a healthy BCC.

My BCC really liked this ,, if the first floor is 82-84 cool the top may be 86-92 ambients with slightly warmer warm spots directly under che's and heat mats..
                          I ve given up on glass cages for snakes and gone to wood or plastic cages for all boa's..
                          Good luck..
                          My boa's didn' really thrive until I figured this out It took a couple years duh..... Many times the experts are trying to gently move people towards the correct cage for the animal... I bet neither Jeff nor Clay have any fish tanks with snakes.. :P.
                          doug

Comment

Hey StarBomb,

Doug gave some good info here.. I agree with what was said..

So how are both of the doing now?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X