X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injectable Calcium

Hey All,

Figured I would throw this question up and see if anyone ever tried this..

I have a snake in the rescue that is believed to have a very bad calcium problem, not enough.. Now this is what I have been thinking of doing and I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this could be a problem, or if it should work ok.. I got some powdered calcium for retiles. I was thinking of mixing some with some water, and injecting it into the prey item just before the snake eats..

Anyone have a clue.. Don't worry not gonna rush into this. Gonna make sure it is safe before I try it..

Steve

Re:Injectable Calcium

I would think that the rats would supply enough calcium for the snake. I am not quite sure, but you want to be careful not to give to much calcium to the snake cause in lizards to much calcium acts almost like an overdose, making them very sick. I hope someone else replies cause I dont know much on this subject. ???

Comment

Hey Comrad..LOL... Thanks for watching my back on the other forum..

Yeah I am not rushing this.. I know this snakes need a little extra to make up for the lack of it through out its life.. I wrote the maker of the powder to see what thay would say..

Thanks for the reply..

Steve

Comment

It might be kinda' hard to inject... when you mix calciam and water you get gel... I don't know about that stuff you got but when I broke my coller bone I had to drink this crap that had calciam in it and when you mixed in the calcium it turned it into gel...
        Just a thought... you might want to mix some and find out...
        Eric aka...Red

Comment

No problem Sclark, It was War.

And Red why did you have to drink Calcium when you broke your coller bone?

Comment

i would think it would be fine, just mix like a 25% calcium and 75% water and inject it into the rats stomach. I wouldn't do more then that though because you could o/d the snake as Welsh said. I would give it a try

Comment

steve i agree with zach i would try just a little at a time to help with the health of the snake and not to inject a whole lot in there in case the snake gets a allergic reaction to it or stomach does not agree with that much calcium at that time but u know i know nothing about this just thought what zach said makes sense so don't start war with me like on the other site with them people LOL j/k

LEE

Comment

Well on a good note "JurassiPet" the maker of the product I mentioned contacted me back with info. I have to say it was nice for a change that the owner of the company contacted me and provided info to me including the disire to ask a ton of questions and provide his feedback.. I will for sure be putting a post of his company in the products forum..

And yes I will share what was said in a follow up here..

Steve

Comment

Well I was running track under the assumtion that I was going to be getting a full ride scholorship to ucla and they had a personal trainer that worked with me on my diet and other stuff... It made my collor bone heal in less then 5 weeks... Perty fast compard to the norm of 3 months... The calcium was only like 10% of the drink but it made it so nasty... just the same texture as hair gel... yuk...
                  Eric aka....Red

Comment

Ewwwwww

Comment

gotta do what cha gotta do red...i guess you cant give boa's milk or ice creame or cheese...why noy just load the rat up on cheese and feed to ya snake ??? or would that not help any ???

Comment

[quote author=sclark link=board=3;threadid=2803;start=msg19100#msg19100 date=1058754384]
                        Hey Comrad..LOL... Thanks for watching my back on the other forum..

Steve
                        [/quote]

what fun it was steve..nice pics to...ya need more bloody pics lol

Comment

Hey guys,

As far as using calcium powder, it would take a lot over a long period of time to OD a big snake. The concentrated Calcium liquid is a different story. I will only be giving extra calcium over his next few feedings should be fine. I just didn't want to water the calcium down, inject it to only have it do no good. The company suggested I wet the rat down and sprinkle some of the powder direct on the rat. But I plan to inject it. I am more worried that the rat may taste funny with calcium powder on it and the snake will reject it. I will keep everyone posted how things go...

Thanks for the comments all..

Steve

Comment

wow steve i never looked at it that way...didnt know the rat would taste funny.altho i never tasted 1 before :P...

Comment

LOL GL,

Thats just a guess..LOL.. I know snakes can be picky and if doesn't smell like a fay juicy rodent, they might pass it up. So injectable should work...

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X