Strange Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Death

This morning we found one of our larger females dead. She has been in my collection over a years time and had not shown any signs of illness. No runny stool, no strange behavior..she eats regularlly every 2 weeks. She has not been in contact with any new snakes. I just cant figure it out. When we found her it appeared like she tried to eat herself. She bit herself mid section and wrapped herself up. We check on the snakes more then once a day..so she must have done this during the night. I told Fred we should take her body to get a neocropsy but he had aleady bagged up her body and threw it away. I really liked this snake and for her to die this way makes no sense to me.

Has anyone expierenced something similar. She was not a rescue snake...never been overfed...enviroment and stats normal......nothing adds up.
    Last edited by Peaches1926; 10-01-2006, 01:02 PM.

Re: Strange Death

It almost sounds like a freak accident. Sorry about your loss

Steve

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. I have heard about this before, but in the other cases it was baby snakes.

Comment

awww man. i'm sorry peaches. I've never seen anything like that. Did it look like it was her trying to eat herself that caused the death?

Very sorry for your loss. =(

Comment

So sorry for you and Freds loss.I have never heard of your sittuation before except for in neos and most of the time it's with Colubrids(sp).I would see about digging her out of the trash and putting her in the frezzer and getting her in for a Necropsy.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I have to agree with Steve. You can't afford to NOT know what killed that boa. I would have Fred get that bag out of the trash and get a necropsy done. Your collection alone is to large to take the chance that this was a one time thing, not to mention the people you've sold to.

I know this was a pet, and believe me, I sympathize, but you have to look at it from a business standpoint.
            "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

thanks for your support.

Ok well she is now in the freezer. How long can she be in there? Does anyone know how much the neocropsy's cost? I have emailed a friend of mine to see about bringing her to the university vet hospital.
              Last edited by Peaches1926; 10-01-2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclyps19
                awww man. i'm sorry peaches. I've never seen anything like that. Did it look like it was her trying to eat herself that caused the death?

Very sorry for your loss. =(

Her teeth were stuck in her skin...it looked like she may have bitten her self and thrashed around..she could have broken something... I have no idea at this point. I can't guess being that she appeared normal and healthy.

Comment

Ok I recieved an email from my friend who is very involved in vetinary medicine. ( I beleive she studied it) She is a very good friend of mine who got me into reptile rescue years ago. When I told her that I had putten the snake in the freezer she told me that everything will be destroyed and a neocropsy would not be productive in telling me what happened to my boa. I have always heard that you should freeze them..but after what she said it does make since that it could destroy evidence of certain issues...we freeze rats to kill off germs and such right. I know human bodies are kept in refridgerated rooms not frozen. So I dont know what to do now. I moved her to fridge (gross) but gotta do what you gotta do right. I have a rat freezer but no seperate fridge. Any insight on this.

Comment

I've also heard that you should refrigerate, not freeze any animal you want a necropsy done on. All I can recommend is to double bag her with some thick black trash bags and put her in the fridge. I know it won't be pleasant, but unless you can find someone with an old fridge they keep beer and sodas in in the garage, I don't know what to tell you.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
                    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I did put her in the fridge as soon as I got the email. She had not froze yet so lets hope I can get some insight into what happened. I am stumped. Its sunday so I cant find a vet today. I got a list of vets and vetinary labs I am going to check into Monday. I need answers. She is a long term animal.,..I have had her for almost 2 years now. She has never had any trouble. I dont keep new snakes even in the same room as my established collection. I dont use the same cages water dishes or anything.

Comment

How Sad,? could there may have been harmful chemicals in the area?, maybe just moving around in the air? just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by hollisterguy224
                          How Sad,? could there may have been harmful chemicals in the area?, maybe just moving around in the air? just a thought.
                          She has 50+ snakes... so I really doubt it... otherwise there would have been more then just one.

Steve

Comment

I am sorry to hear about such a tragic loss. Didn't Jeff have a similar experience where one of his snakes apparently tried to consume itself?

Comment

He did indeed.

It sounds like a freak accident to me, but I'm not a vet.

Sorry to hear about your loss . Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X