This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

We have a red tail,2 year old,male.He is about 5f,in a 29g tank..Bout a month ago we saw some skin missing from his nose.we were told not to worry it will come back after he sheds.. He shed and now alittle more skin is missing, right done to the skull..He also hasn't eaten in a month(we offer but he doens't take)..His weight is the same(not seeming to lose any).His behaiver seems the same(We go out for walks every evening).He still falls asleep on me while watching tv.He has a great personality..Gets along with the kids(never stuck at anybody).We have 5 snakes in all, 2 fem balls,2 burms(male/female),& the red tail..Nobody else seems to be bothered by anything...We are really worried he will be 2 in Aug. the others will be 1 in Aug..We are listening for any help.. :'(

Re:help

Hello TW,
    Welcome to the forum. I would say your first problem is that a 5 foot boa is way to big for a 29g tank. You need an enclosure at least 6' L x 2' W x 2' H. Without a picture of his nose its really hard to say whats wrong. Sounds like due to the small enclosure he has rubbed his nose raw trying to get out. This is not an uncomman problem. Often, the pet in trying to escape will rub its nose along the walls of the enclosure, creating an abrasion on the tip of its snout. If the abrasion is severe enough, infection of the underlying bone can result. This requires veterinary attention. This condition can be preventing by allowing ‘‘hiding places’’ in the cage. In cases where even this fails, smearing the glass with Vaseline will not only allow the snake to recognize it as a barrier, but allow for less friction on the snout if the behavior persists. In the mean time use a little polysporin and rub it on there..or neosporin( without pain killer) the pain killer will hurt your boa..

Good Luck,
    jAySoN ;D

Try to post a pic of the nose that way we can get a better idea.

Comment

Unfountunetly we don't have easy access tothe internet.I have an old digital cam and doesn't take very good pix.. On the enclosure I am working on building on that is 6lX3wX2.5h...when its done there will be 3 enclosures in one.Bottom for the heavy burms,middle for the boa,and top for the balls...i have made a blue print, just working on getting the lumber and stuff..Thank you very much...

Comment

That Looks really rude but is not meant to be...We ARE very thankful to everyone

Comment

Yea I agree with Mitch, most likely it is caused by the snake rubbing his nose on the sides of the enclosure, but without a pic we cant really know for sure. But yea that cage is way to small for that size Boa, its good you are making a new cage.

Comment

We went to a different forum and go our buts chewed bout that cage,and nobody even tryed to help..We think we like this place

Comment

It definately sounds like a nose rub. Everyone is right about the size of the enclosure, so that is the main issue.

You should be treating the nose/head with Polysporin, 2 times a day. That is the best at home thing you can do. Other than a vet visit.

Unfortunately, some people come across wrong, when their intentions are good. The only solution to your problem is a proper sized cage, and we hope you get one soon, but be sure to treat the nose rub.
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Well we are all great here, I would much rather help ya out than chew you out. That is a great looking Boa you got, and a nice looking python also in that pic, just make sure you always keep them two far away from each other, pythons can spread bad diseases to Boas, and vice versa.

Comment

hey welcome to da boards..i think every 1 has touched on the nose rubb...just make sure you pay close attaion what welsh said about boa's and pythons being next to each other...also dont forget where here to help...just ask away..only stupid question is 1 thats not asked ...have fun

Comment

Well that is a perty small encloser...
                    You know you can get one of those huge tubs from wal-mart rubber maid ones or what ever brand they have... They make them like four foot long and two foot high.. That is a sutible encloser.. Just drill a bunch of holes in it and it will work better then what you have....
                    Good luck..
                    Eric aka...Red

Comment

Hi Twhalen,

Yeah have to agree with what was siad. Sounds like a case of nose rub from too small of a house enclosure for your snake. I would work on getting a 4x2x2 enclosure as soon as you can. Keep an eye on the run area to make sure it diesn't get infected and your snake doesn't end up with mouth rot..

Good luck
                      Steve

Comment

To be a little specific if you are considering building new cages, there is a few minimum requirements to keep in mind. 4x2x2 minimum for the boas, 6x2x2 mininum per burmese python, and 2x2x2 for the ball pythons. Might want to consider changing the plans with the new cage design.

Comment

Yeah I agree with Xzylum. Your cage is still gonna be a little on the small side. Good Luck and welcome to the forum..Stick around you can learn alot here I know I have...lol ;D

jAySoN

Comment

Working...
                          X