X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 different sheds........

Hello Everyone......

I am so excited..... my new baby Osiris shed last night. I hardly susupected it since he was just getting a little darker, I thought he still had another week or so. Anyways, perfect, perfect, perfect!!! From the tip of the lip to the tip of the tail. You can see the eye holes! Okay I got that out now, I feel better. This is an excitement that only you guys understand. People at work look at me like "Ewww gross."

Okay, now Jezebel is in shed. She still had a little of last times shed still on her. I was hoping that if I raised the temps and humidity, she would shed everything off this time with no problem. I've been misting once a day and using the damp towel over the top trick. Her eyes were white for like 4 days. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she has a good shed this time. It was always fine before but this last time was just bad. I caught her opening her mouth, trying to start so we'll see. Anything else I should try? Or do I just wait and see what the increase in humidity and temp have done?

**Beth**

Re:2 different sheds........

Hey Beth,

Your little baby is growing.. ... He always did good sheds for me. Glad he is keeping that going..

Hope Jez sheds good this time.. Growth spurts that are big ones, sometimes gives a bad shed.. Don't be too worried about Jez just yet.. Just make sure you check her belly for red, soar looking spots etc to make sure the increase in humidity doesn't cause belly rot..

Keep us posted Beth..

Steve

Comment

Well I was thinking of just keeping the humidity high for the shed process. What do you think? I will definetly check her over.

**Beth**

Comment

Its not a bad idea..... I just always watch closly when I up the humidity.. Belly rot is real nasty to deal with and painful, so I avoid it at all costs..

Steve

Comment

Is scale rot, easy to get?

**Beth**

Comment

Most of the time when scale rot happens the substrate is to damp and this is the cause of the infection. So as long as the substrate is not wet you should be fine.

TAT 8)

Comment

Scale rot is from being is moister or wet conditions for too long, not allowing the belly to get dry once in awhile. It starts as pink areas and can get to a point of blisters where chunks of scale and rotted skin come off. Its very painful for the snake and a real heartache for the owner.. Had one boa come in with such a bad case that the rot and infection went deep enough to effect the stomach lining.. That boa never made it, secondary infection is what took him out..

Steve

Comment

Awwww, thats sad. I will make sure to be extra careful then.

**Beth**

Comment

Jezebel still hasn't shed. I'm starting to worry. Usually 2-3 days after her eye caps come off, she shed's. She's not active at all. I doesn't even look like she's trying to get it off yet. I hope everything is okay............

**Beth**

Comment

Hey Beth,

What do you mean after the eye caps come off. They should come off with the shed.. Do you mean when the eye caps clear..
                    Steve

Comment

yea beth, my girl just shed and it was like 3-4 days after her eyes cleared up that she shed the whole thing. Hope this will be the same for you. Keep us updated. ;D 8)

Comment

Yeah, I guess thats what I meant Steve......... I thought that after the eyes clear that they shed first? Some of the sheds have holes where the eyes are........ you know what I mean? Hmmmmmmm
                        Anyway she shed last night!!!!! One perfect peice. I am soooooooooo relieved! She looks beautiful. I was starting to think she was an ugly duckling the past 2 months. I think she just went through a growth spurt and was having a bad couple of months. I checked her belly and all looks good. I need to start handling her more often........

**Beth**

Comment

The eye caps come off at the same time they shed, not before. If you find holes where the eyecaps should be in the shed then more than likely the snake has a retained eye cap. When I find that my snakes have retained eye caps I soak them and gently rub their eyes with my finger and take the cap off.

Just an fyi, if you do find that an eye cap has been retained it isn't that big of a deal. If you don't want to stress your snake by removing it yourself or don't feel you can be gentle enough then you can always wait until the next shed. But make sure on that next shed that the eye caps have come off.

Another thing to try when you find this is to soak a towel down and the ring it out. Put the snake on the towel and fold it over him in a rubbermaid container or something. The snake will sometimes get it off all by himself.

Anway, congrats on the sheds. I always up my humidity by 20% during shed and have had no problems.

Comment

Hey Slither.......
                            No, I have never seen a retained eye cap. I have no idea why I thought that.......... I'm a dummy sometimes. But this forum has already taught me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Usually my snakes shed just fine. But I started feeding Jezebel more and she has grown like a foot in 8 months. Does that sound normal/possible? The last 2 months she has grown a lot. And she now has much better girth and a bigger head, I swear. I also cannot believe how dark she's gotten. 2 months ago, I moved her into a new cage and a new room and I don't know if it was the change or the dry hot weather here in the desert or what but last shed was the only bad one she's had since I've had her.......... This shed I raised the humidity and hurray! She shed the best she's ever shed. Thanks for the info though.........

**Beth**

Comment

Hey Beth,

I agree fully with what slither said..

As for the growth issue. It is possible, not common, but possible.. All snakes hit growth spurts at different times.. I love to see those growth spurts..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X