Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Cold Boa???

Hey guys,
    I may be worrying about nothing but I have had my 5' RTB for about 3 months now and no problems with feeding every week and a half. Well now I've noticed that he stays on the cool side of the tank all of the time and keeps his head about 5 inches off of the ground straight up in the air like he's in a trance. I take him out because i think he might just want to be held and he's is freakin' ice cold everytime. It seems that he's started to do it with the season change. I gave him his scheduled feeding a couple days ago and he didn't eat it. I've flipped him and he's turned upright and probably wondering what the heck i was doing to him. He looks perfectly healthy and i've even put my ear up to him and his breathing is fine.

So with those two simple observations it looks not to be a RI or IBD.

Any ideas????

Re: Cold Boa???

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I have a boa that has similar behavoir. I have had him for about 9 months, and ever since I got him he has prefered the cool side of his tank and he stares up at the sky a lot. I've been wondering about it too.
    Also, if he feels cold to the touch you might want to check your temps. Even if he prefers the cool side, you should make sure that it is warm enough. I keep mine at 80 on the cool side.

Comment

I keep mine around 75ish on the cool side and mid 80's on the heated side. he started this when it got cooler outside. I'm just wondering about the strange behavior??? In the warmer months, it's warmer in the cage by a few degrees. But it seems like he would want to be on the warmer side in the cooler months to adjust his body temp. And the trances...beats me. He is perfectly alert, too. he watches me when i walk by and then goes back to staring.

Comment

Your cage temps seem a bit on the low side. You should try warming him up. What temp is the room his cage is in?

In the winter, I like to keep the cool end of the cage around 78 to 80. Anything below 78 on the cool end and my boas aren't happy. I like to keep the warm end, hot spot, between 88 and 90. I keep my boa room between 80 and 85. The room temps are important to keep the proper ambient temps in the cage. The ambient temps in the cages stay around 84 most days.

So, if you're saying your boa feels "ice cold"... He probably needs more heat.

BTW my boas only stay on the heat if they're digesting or gestating. Other than that, they'll hang out on the cooler end of the cage or half and half. So, my boas, only go to the heated side when they need it for the "extra warmth". For daily warmth, they rely on the entire cage being in a comfortable range.

So, crank up the heat a bit and see how your guy does.

Comment

thanks, I'll do that! yeah he is in my living room which is about mid 70's so i'll have to crank up the thermostat! what about the trances he's been going into this past week??? could that be the problem with that too?

Comment

Originally posted by tjgilroy View Post
            thanks, I'll do that! yeah he is in my living room which is about mid 70's so i'll have to crank up the thermostat! what about the trances he's been going into this past week??? could that be the problem with that too?
            I have no idea is being too cold would cause that. You'll have to see if he's still doing it after he's warmed up.

Comment

Linda covered it. All I want to ad is Boas tend to
              go off food especially when they too cold

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

What about the staring at the ceiling behavoir?
                Is that normal?

Comment

raised the heat a few a degrees....stopped the trancing and has weirdly returned to his hide on the heated side...will try to feed him in a few days...thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Hey guys, so the heat is up and now my guy has skipped a meal. I've been told by fellow herps that they somehow know it's breeding season and will sometimes go off they're feeding schedule? It's like, he knows. Poor guy, i feel bad I'm not breeding him. He wants the kind of love I can't give him!!! haha

Comment

Working...
                    X