seems to be defensive now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] seems to be defensive now

I just acquired my hypo a few weeks ago, he was sociable when I first got him home, I took him out of his cage and handled him everyday and seems he was fine.

Now a couple of days ago I fed him and I left him alone for a day or so and now when I try to handle him he seems on the defensive side as he has stuck at me yesterday and today. He had been hanging out on a branch before I fed him. After I fed him he just stays curled up on top of his hide.
    Should I leave him alone for a couple more days? and let him time to settle down? or should I keep attempting to pick him up?
    I cant really tell if he's on his way to shedding yet.

Re: seems to be defensive now

give him a week or so to calm down and he'll probably be fine.

a couple other questions to be considered:

is his environment properly regulated? i.e. temp/humidity/access to hides, etc...

do you have other animals that might be stressing him out? cats, dogs, other pets that may frequently walk past his cage...

Comment

I was having troubles regulating the temps because its a 40 gallon glass breeder tank. and I was goin back and forth with the heats and the thermostat trying to get it right.
      seems now my temps are good, its about 78 on the cool side and about 89 on the hot side. The humidity is about 50%
      but like I said he was fine before even when I was tryin to straighten out his temps. He didnt get pissy til I fed him.

I do have a dog but most of the time he stays out of that room

He has plenty of hides but dont seem to care for them

Comment

ok, well just give him some time. if he's still like that in a week or so, let us know

Comment

From what I have read there is a good chance that the boa is simply not wanting to be handled right now. I think daily handling is a bit much for them and this can stress them out. Like dangles said...give it a week or so and if you can't wait that long and have the means to do so do what I do and buy some more boas! lol.

Comment

Did you try asking him why hes mad?

Comment

Yeah I second that, just leave him alone for about a week or two. Make sure eveythig else is fine and he should be calmed down and good again.

Comment

Working...
              X