X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niko1
    Snake Lover
    • Jul 2009

[Skin] Does your snake Soak?

I have 4 snakes and only one of them soak himself on a regular... he loves the water, where the other 3 dont go near it...unless its to drink. even when the humidity is good, Zo will soak and just chill in the water. my 2 babies, seem to hate the water and my other one doesnt seem to like water that much either... and he is a rescue. does anyone have and ideas and can give me some insight about this. should i even be worried about it at all...
  • Ace of Snakes
    Snake Guru
    • Jun 2009

Re: Does your snake Soak?

My female use to soak alot when she had mites. Check the bottom of the water for them. My male had mites also but did not soak so you may have a mite problem and not know it. I have been mite free now for a long time and my female never soaks anymore.

Keep us posted.

Comment

• niko1
      Snake Lover
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by follow
      My female use to soak alot when she had mites. Check the bottom of the water for them. My male had mites also but did not soak so you may have a mite problem and not know it. I have been mite free now for a long time and my female never soaks anymore.

Keep us posted.
      I just sterilized and changed all water bowls this morning.... GLADLY TO SAY.......NO MITES..... i keep a very close watch on all of them and ive never had a mite problem (knocking on wood) but i was just wondering if it should be a concern that the 3 DONT SOAK... because i thought that soaking was a thing that ALL boas actually all snakes did.... when i read about having appropiate sized water bowls SO THEY CAN SOAK... i automatically think that they would do it on a regular.... you know just to bathe or cool down or whatever..... my suri is the one the hates water the most... i swear if she has legs she would tackle me down on her way out of the water EVERY TIME. where niko just calmly tries to get out and Bayou (the rescue) will do the same....

Comment

• satyra
        Snake Master
        • Nov 2009

ive only seen one of my baby boas soak once when she was in shed one time, and one of my tics when she was in shed one time, other than that mine dont seem to wanna soak.

Comment

• Hunglikeafruitbat
          Snake Maniac
          • Sep 2009

My large male possible Honduran was soaking quite a bit, so I turned his temps down a bit and no more soaking. According to Rio Bravo soaking is not a good thing as it can lead to illness and usually is an escape from temps, mites or other parasites.... (scroll down halfway-ish) Rio Bravo Reptiles: Boa Care

but I have also read on this site that I should be providing a dish large enough to soak in, so it seems like everyone has a different opinion on it.

Comment

• shogun678
            Snake Lover
            • Oct 2009

My JCP soaks every time right before she sheds. I have on ocassion seen my other snakes soaking, usaully means a shed, but it can mean they have mites, so as long as it dosn't have mites and your temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

• niko1
              Snake Lover
              • Jul 2009

it could be an opinion thing because even in the ultimate care guide on THIS website says that SOAKING IS A NATURAL BEHAVIOR for boas.... so thats why it concerned me a lil bit....

Comment

• MSwift
                ColdBlooded!
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by niko1
                it could be an opinion thing because even in the ultimate care guide on THIS website says that SOAKING IS A NATURAL BEHAVIOR for boas.... so thats why it concerned me a lil bit....
                do you mean NOT Natural?

also my boas soak every once in a while i think its ok every once in a while IMO

Comment

• chaosboa
                  Snake Lover
                  • Jun 2009

It's all the preference to your snake, some like to soak, some don't. Nothing to worry about if your temps and humidity are fine and that you are mite free. She just likes the water I suppose. I have a albino that loves the water, every time I change her water she goes right into it for about 3 hours. None of my other ones do it. No worries.

Comment

• niko1
                    Snake Lover
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by chaosboa
                    It's all the preference to your snake, some like to soak, some don't. Nothing to worry about if your temps and humidity are fine and that you are mite free. She just likes the water I suppose. I have a albino that loves the water, every time I change her water she goes right into it for about 3 hours. None of my other ones do it. No worries.

Thank you Chaos, everyone has given me their situation and you are the first to answer MY QUESTION......

Comment

• Re4mer
                      Snake Keeper
                      • Aug 2009

My Colombian Redtail does not soak at all. I think it really might just be as simple as the snake personality.

Comment

• MLynch
                        Snake Maniac
                        • Jul 2009

I wouldn't be too concerned if your boa is soaking a lot or rarely soaks at all. Some boas really like it... others seem to care less about it.

There can be reasons for soaking, such as mites, but you've stated that your snake doesn't have mites - which is good. Other reasons may be that the humidity in the cage is too low. And some boas like to soak as a pre-poop prep.

If none of these apply then you just have a boa that likes the water.

Comment

Working...