No announcement yet.

Please be sure your cages are secure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Health-General] Please be sure your cages are secure...

I got a call tonight from a stranger who heard about me from someone somewhere and needed advice. His Ball Python got out of it's cage and when it was found it was not in very good shape. I have posted a pic that he sent me with it's wounds.

In short, here was my response (in addition to recommending a vet if they had the money)

1) For the next several months, use nothing but newspaper or paper towels as substrate
    2) Clean wound with 50/50 mix of Iodine & water (Walgreens brand is Providone Iodine)
    3) Apply Tripple Aniti-Biotic cream
    4) Wrap with Vet Wrap but this may prove useless as the snake may crawl right out of it.
    5) Clean every day or two for a while until you start seeing improvement
    Attached Files

Re: Please be sure your cages are secure...

wow that is really bad does he know what happens or just found this way pass on some good luck from the site to him

Comment

He called me back and told me his sister tried, with no luck, to pull the snake out from where it was hiding. It is bad but I have succesfull treated worse than this when my adult brazllian redtails got into a brawl. They recovered but it is a LONG healing process.

Comment

So what exactly caused this injury? That looks pretty serious.
        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Looks like its severe all the way to its intestiners. It must have gotten shut in a door or attacked by an animal ( cat or dog)
          I'd say its a gonner, that's a kind of nasty sick looking wound. I usually do not get
          grossed out by things , but that ones bad,make me feel sorry for that BP mostly

Good advice sounds like they are not willing to go to a vet with it,
          if they are looking for advice from people

Lar M
          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

That BP needs to see a vet to check for other injuries. After that, all the steps outlined are highly effective...

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I can't tell a whole lot of detail from that picture, but if they want that snake to live I really think it needs vet care and quite a great deal. Antibiotics, pain medication, etc are a must, and probably surgical debridement.

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                It must have gotten shut in a door or attacked by an animal ( cat or dog)
                They apparently saw the snake behind a cabinet or something and tried to pull it out. My guess is that it got caught on a sliver of wood or something. I have seen wounds like this heal but it takes a LONG LONG time and a lot of patience and care from the owner. I have not seen the snake, only the pic you see above.

Comment

wow thats pretty bad looking ... hope the BP gets better !!

Comment

Working...
                  X