This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] EMERGENCY Ate too much RIPPED SKIN

My roommate has a baby ball python and he tried to feed it a rat pup. The rat pup was WAY too big and it's skin ripped open exposing muscle. It's still in shed and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me out? I've never took care of an injured snake. Thanks a lot.

Cali

Re: EMERGENCY Ate too much RIPPED SKIN

you know i dont know but pictures would really help to determine the sevearitiy (sp)

Comment

Here are pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
        you know i dont know but pictures would really help to determine the sevearitiy (sp)

Agreed. We need pics..but if the muscle is showing it CANT be good...

Comment

It needs to go to a vet right now, that skin is split wide open to the muscle and I have no idea if they can even treat something like that, be prepared to have the snake put down IMO.

[Edit] I'm not suggesting that an at home treatment is the way to go here, but there are suggestions on how to treat cuts and bites in the Emergency At Home Treatments section of the Ultimate Care Guide. It also states to consult a vet A.S.A.P. as well, which is still my advice. Even if it is just to do the right thing and have it put down humanely.

Comment

ohh NO! bad..bad bad bad..... Ive never had anything close to that happen to any of my snakes but to me I would think its too bad and the snake would have to be put down. But Im not sure..maybe somebody here knows a way to save it. It looks like it wasnt very healthy before it ate that rat pup though..

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought the owner just went out of town and asked me to put it back when it finished eating so I'm just doing what I can. I cleaned out the whole tank and left only paper and heat. I applied a little neosporin on its wound and just left it in its cage. I don't know what else to do. I will try to get my roommate to take him to the vet but I can't do much right now except do what I can at home. Thanks a lot guys. =[

Comment

Man...I CANT stop looking at those pictures. Ive seen a lot of bad things durring my career in law enforcment and as a first responder but thats bad. Does that make me a bad person that I didnt even flinch when I saw a guy whos head got sliced in half by a stop sign when he hit it going over 100mph on a crotch rocket he stole 2 minutes before and killed him and his gf..but seeing that snake makes me want to cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Spo0led View Post
                  Man...I CANT stop looking at those pictures. Ive seen a lot of bad things durring my career in law enforcment and as a first responder but thats bad. Does that make me a bad person that I didnt even flinch when I saw a guy whos head got sliced in half by a stop sign when he hit it going over 100mph on a crotch rocket he stole 2 minutes before and killed him and his gf..but seeing that snake makes me want to cry.
                  I don't know if being more upset about the snake makes you a bad person or not (morality confuses me) but I do know I agree one hundred percent with your feelings. The Motorcycle Boy (YAY! Rumble Fish!) deserved what he got, he chose to take what wasn't his and he chose to exceed his capabilities with that property, resulting in the death of him, the idiot who would date someone like him and probably a lot of property damage as well. Animals that are hurt while in our care have not made any choices and so their suffering is seen as the greater tragedy to people like you and I. If that makes us bad, well then I guess I am bad to the bone.

Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                    I don't know if being more upset about the snake makes you a bad person or not (morality confuses me) but I do know I agree one hundred percent with your feelings. The Motorcycle Boy (YAY! Rumble Fish!) deserved what he got, he chose to take what wasn't his and he chose to exceed his capabilities with that property, resulting in the death of him, the idiot who would date someone like him and probably a lot of property damage as well. Animals that are hurt while in our care have not made any choices and so their suffering is seen as the greater tragedy to people like you and I. If that makes us bad, well then I guess I am bad to the bone.

Mat.
                    Dont wanna hijack the thread but all I could think when I saw him was "Karma is a BI*** aint it!!" He had just picked up his gf not half an hour before when she got released from jail. I knew i recognized her and pulled up the recent mugshots and sure enough..then on video it shows him coming to the gate to get her and they walked away off camera. The camera was angled so it showed them walking about 2 blocks (further than any jail parking) and then turn the corner by Oreillys where the guy said his bike got stolen from.

Comment

HOLY COW dude ya i would say WAY WAY to big of a meal like everyone else said take it to a vet i also say it will have to be put down as well

Comment

poor snake. how big was that rat pup? seems to me that your roommate doesnt know to much about prey size. im sure your gonna have to have it put down and soon,get it to a vet a.s.a.p so it doesnt suffer anymore

Comment

I personally don't think that snake can survive - especially if you didn't immediately take it to the vet. It can't swallow the rat; it can't regurgitate the rat. It's just sitting there dying.

In my opinion, you should have it euthanized as soon as possible. Then you should take a baseball bat and hit your friend in the head with it. If you were there when he fed that rat, then you should hit yourself in the head with it.

Then you should take all of your friends snake caging, thermostats, heating etc. and throw it away. Get him one of those wooden snakes that they sell at General Stores. The picture below is the only animal he is qualified to own. I am sick and tired of seeing snakes getting tortured by idiots who can't be bothered to even learn how to take care of an animal in their care.

Comment

This is a shame...the poor thing looks like it was close to death BEFORE the meal....This toolbag should be charged with animal cruelty

Comment

take it to a vet to be euthanized IMMEDIATELY.

if you can't afford it, take it out back and do the merciful deed with a shovel. graphic, i know, but not compared to the suffering that poor thing is experiencing right now.

*edit* and yes, josh is right. your friend needs a nice get-together with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                              X