Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individual scales coming off with duller scale underneath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Individual scales coming off with duller scale underneath.

Hello,
    I have a 5 y/o male boa for 3 years. About three weeks ago my boy decided to spend a whole week in his water bowl soaking because he was shedding and in his opaque stage. He then developed scale/belly rot on about half of his belly. I took him to the vet as soon as I could get home to him and the vet gave him an antibiotic shot, a bottle of iodine, and some antibiotic ointment. He told me to soak Rusty in an iodine bath 10% iodine/90% water for 15 mins once a day until it heals, then rub antibiotic ointment on the scale rot after drying him off. Since his injury I have changed his substitute to newspaper, I change his water once a day and changed the size of the water bowl so he can’t soak any more, and raised his temp in the whole cage by 5 degrees, even in his basking area. His scale rot is healing great but about a week ago when I started to notice individual scales starting to come off with duller scales underneath, almost white; we had noticed it when my husband and I was applying the ointment. I am not sure what the problem is, he looks really healthy and functions fine. I when I took him to the vet he done a full exam on him looking closely with magnifying glasses to check for mites. He was clean of mites and the only problem was the scale rot. I am an experienced person with boas but this has stumped me to no end, even with extensive research. I thought it might be from the oils in the ointment. Some more expert help would be wonderful. I will post a few pics of the scales and then a few of him healthy, sorry about the quality it was the best I could do.

Thanks,
    Jess, [email protected]
    Attached Files

Re: Individual scales coming off with duller scale underneath.

Anytime you use an "oil based" product on a snake, you will get this shedding of individual scales/skin. That ointment you're using is most likely oil based. It's normal for that to happen. I don't know if it's necessarily good for them, but it happens. After his next shed, and if you don't use any more of the ointment on him. He should go back to normal.

Comment

Yep Linda's covered it, that's a normal reaction to the oil based product.
      Nothing to worry about as long as the scale rot is healing nicely

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Thats what I thought but I didnt think it would hurt to ask. Thanks again.

Comment

The same thing happened to one of my rescues I was treating for scale rot. As Lar said, once he is fully healed and sheds again the white will go away.
          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Do you know what the ointment is out of curiosity? The others covered the cause of the scales coming off.

Comment

Working...
            X