Possible Health Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Possible Health Concern

So i posted an ad a couple weeks ago about my snakes NOT SOAKING.... now that i have been reading books i have a concern about one of my boas the CONSTANTLY soaks.... im not alarmed that he has parasites because i just took him to the vet 2 weeks ago for a check up and i was told that he was find... no mites.... NO NOTHING..... but i have read in multiple books, such as "BOA IN CAPTIVITY" and "THE COMPLETE BOA" by VIN RUSSO, that it is not good to keep your snake constantly wet.... and my big boy "ZO" basically lives in the water.... and if he's not in the water, he is in his hide.... any insight on this..... should i be worried.

Re: Possible Health Concern

There are many reasons for a boa to soak. It could be dehydration and /or constipation. He could be escaping the heat of his enclosure. It may also be that he feels a bit insecure and is using his water bowl as another hide.

There are probably even more I don't know about.

What's his set up like?

Comment

I was about to say the same thing Mike did...and to REASSURE yourself that your animal DOESN'T have mites...look in his water bowl that he is soaking in to make sure there are no little black specs that look like pepper in the bottom of the water bowl. It just might be that your humidity levels are under...or it is way to warm for him and he is trying to cool down.
      Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

His set up is a 4 x 2 custom wood cage.... i use repti bark for substrate and his temps are 92 on the hot side and 83 on the cool side. right now he is in shed and i know that they will soak during this time but even when hes not in shed he will be in the water.... his humidity never gets below 50..... he is still ver docile and i know that sometimes they can get a bit hissy and whatnot if they had a parasite problem or whatever but he is always calm....

Comment

he may be trying to cool off a bit more. i wouldnt worry unless i saw mites in the bowl lol.

Comment

Originally posted by niko1 View Post
            His set up is a 4 x 2 custom wood cage.... i use repti bark for substrate and his temps are 92 on the hot side and 83 on the cool side. right now he is in shed and i know that they will soak during this time but even when hes not in shed he will be in the water.... his humidity never gets below 50..... he is still ver docile and i know that sometimes they can get a bit hissy and whatnot if they had a parasite problem or whatever but he is always calm....
            I'd say 92/83 is at the warm end of the spectrum. Not terribley bad though. He might be soaking to cool off a bit.

Comment

Bring the temps down 2 -3 degrees and see what happens

put the humidity gauge 1 inch from the ground close to his hide and see what the readings are....bring it up to 60 and keep it there.....but make sure your reading low to the ground.....

and you might want to check the humidity in his hide....heat pads will dry out the hide....

Comment

Working...
              X