No announcement yet.

Weird mouth problem (Columbian Boa)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Eyes/Mouth] Weird mouth problem (Columbian Boa)...

My sisters fiance has a Columbian Boa that has some sort of problem with it's mouth. It seems to be isolated to the upper part of the mouth. He recently started using a compressed coconut fiber bedding for the snake, we've since replaced it with newspaper. Upon closer examination, we noticed there was quite a bit of the bedding impacted in all the crevices of her mouth. We've gotten out as much of it as we can.

We were told that it could be Mouth Rot, so we've been applying peroxide and neosporin for the past few days and there's no apparent improvement.

Two days ago, one of her teeth came right out as we were applying the peroxide and neosporin. Her mouth is so swollen that her other teeth are starting to point out sideways.

She has been drinking her water, but can't eat.

We have taken two hi-res pictures (beware 56k connections - also beware - GRAPHIC):
    http://www.joshstj.com/snake001.jpg
    http://www.joshstj.com/snake002.jpg

If anyone could give us any guidance on what to do, if we're doing the right things, or what it could be - we'd truly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Re: Weird mouth problem (Columbian Boa)...

The right thing to do would be to get your boa to a vet right now!! That snake is very sick and needs a vet!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yikes!

That looks like a pretty clear case of mouth rot. That boa needs to get to a vet ASAP! It's to a point that it's going to need systemic antibiotics (injectable). Possibly even surgery if there are any abscess. ...And I'd be surprised if there weren't.

In the mean time: Immediately clear any and all substrate out of the enclosure. Replace it with newspaper, paper towels, butcher's paper, or something along those lines. The last thing you need is anymore substrate getting in there. You also need to clean out his enclosure thoroughly. Wash it with a 5% bleach solution, rinse it well (leave no bleach in the cage), return the snake, it's hide, and a water bowl - nothing else. Replace the paper substrate daily. This is a bacterial infection. The cage needs to be kept as clean as possible. And make sure it's water bowl is cleaned daily and fresh water supplied.

Raise the ambient temp in the cage to about 85-90 degrees, swab the affected area with a solution of 50% water/50% peroxide. If you have any Betadine or Chlorhexidine even better! A 1% solution of betadine (or Providone-Iodine (the generic version)), or a 2% solution of Chlorhexidine will help disinfect the area. Repeat the swabbing/rinsing f the affected area twice a day. But this isn't going to cure him. He needs a vet ASAP. That's the only way this will get better. Mouth rot can not only rot the oral tissue, but the bone as well if left too long (and unfortunately it looks like it already is). Untreated it can kill a snake.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

Comment

I don't remember seeing a Boas mouth look like that ever before

That looks like some serious infection it took some time to get like that
        That's way past bad , how could it even get this bad ???

Those look like abscesses I think

We need Joley to identify it but

you need a Vet and injectable Antibiotics , Amakacin

Quit using peroxide get iodine or better yet spray properly diluted chlorhexidine solution on it

Here's a Link to another thread with similar but much less serious condition
        clickable link below

swollen tooth emergency? or not

If you don't get that Boa help right now its going to loose its mouth ! !

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

That looks EXTREMLY bad. Like it took a shotgun to the face! I don't think there is any question that it needs emergency care ASAP.

I don't think over the counter anything is going to help other than keeping it possibly as bad as it is now (I bet it can get worse even though it seems so bad already). I would not even post here anymore for help and be calling a vet for injected anti botics.

Comment

I do have to wonder why medical aid wasn't sought prior to now.

Comment

NO HOME REMEDIES >>>>>>> GO STRAIGHT TO THE VET

Comment

Oh my gosh! That poor thing! TAKE TO VET NOW!

Comment

That looks horrible. It looks terribly infected! You need a vet NOW as everyone has said. That snake is at great risk of infection spreading into the bone. Without knowing a history on the boa, cancer could even be a rule-out. All I can say that a condition like that didn't happen over night; that has been "brewing" for some time. Like Joe said, that WILL NOT be fixed with home remedies. I can almost guarantee you that the boa will need surgery to debride that whole area and explore the damage further.
                  Last edited by jhsulliv; 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

( quote by Boa Amarali)" Here's a Link to another thread with similar but much less serious condition
                    clickable link below

swollen tooth emergency? or not".

That was my question and my boa wasn't half as bad as what this poor little guy is. My boa had to have surgery to have the gums cut into and it left his teeth exposed just to get all the infection and let it heal. I have to put ointment ( not over the counter stuff) on the area twice a day. I also have to give him shots every other day. I spotted the swollen mouth and immediately called the vet.

Get him to the vet so they can help him. Good luck.

Comment

I hope everyone can see this and learn from it. If your boa is looking ill, seek help right away so it doesnt get worse....

I'm not even sure the boa will be able to recover from that mouthrot... I hope so =[

Comment

Why did it get this bad before going to a vet?! That is inexcusable! Take the snake from him, take it to a vet to see if MAYBE it can be healed, then find a person who will actually take care of it to adopt it. Then give your sister's fiance a nice punch to the solar plexus and tell him never to buy an animal again. Anybody who lets a condition get this bad doesn't deserve to own pets. If they have kids, will he wait until they're on their death bed to schedule a dr's appointment? Probably not but that's what he did to this animal. Sorry to go off like this but I'm tired of seeing threads like this on the forum and it needs to stop.
                        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

This is very sad. I don't get angry, but I do feel terrible for that snake.

It looks like it will lose much of its upper jaw for sure.

Comment

Told my vet about this snake and she was shocked. She said he needs to have this snake taken away. Then she said take the snake into a vet and

see if this poor snake can survive and if he/she does the vet should be able to find him/her a good home. Somebody that cares and will treat the

boa how he/she should be treated. Its irresponsible for a pet owner to
                            treat any animal this way.

If you were sick and your mouth was this swollen wouldn't you go to
                            the doctors. Treat your animal as you would like to be treated.

Thank You for seeing that something was wrong and asking for help
                            even though it was not your animal.

Comment

Working...
                            X