Nose Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Nose Rub

I've seen posts on this before, but none of the answers are available to me. My 11 yr old, 6 ft male boa has been trying to get out of his cage, rubbing his nose on the (ugh) screen top. I know for a fact the cage is too small for him and that he's restless. The problem is, I've got literally no money to spare for anything, especially a cage. I've read some suggestions about securing the screen lid so it won't move... but no ideas of how to do that. Anyone got any advice?

Re: Nose Rub

I have a relatively inexpensive solutiomn. Rubbermaid or Sterilite container with a heating
    device (Human heating pad , Zoomed heat matt etc.. UTH for heating purposes)

Also right now this time of year places like Walmart , Meijer,Target carry large Iris
    containers $30.00 (55 in long, 20 in wide , 14 in H) same heating UTH device.
    People use these containers as X-Mas tree storage containers.
    These are one possible solution, Plus anyone of these type containers
    I've listed create wonderful heat & humidity conditions for a Boa

Some online sources as well

Sterilite - Storage

The Container Store - The Original Storage and Organization Store

Reptile Tubs New Page 1

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Even cheaper solution- loose that screen top its no good at keepin humidity anyway and will contribute to noserub whether u secure it or not and measure your cage then go to the hardware store and get a piece of plexi glass cut to that size. Aquariums have a lip just below the rim it will rest nicely on if not cut it a bit larger. Drill a few holes in it then just weight it down. Hopefully your not usin a heat lamp cause this idea won't work as the light will melt it"duh".

Comment

Last I checked You'll pay more for a piece of plexi than you will
        pay for a Rubbermaid at least around here you will

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I've looked, and I think I'll go with a plastic tub, at least for a temporary solution until I can afford the cage I'm looking at (it's a Vision cage, it's $400 O_o, but it'd be his final cage, I think).

A few more questions though. How big a tub would I need, and how would I go about converting it into a suitable home for my snake?

Comment

You actually don't need a huge tub, but the largest one you can find. Remember this is only TEMPORARY. He will need a cage that is suitable, but would do fine in a 4x2x1 Boaphile probably and those only run about $250 with all the heating and such. No matter what setup though, if you use an undertank heater you HAVE to have a thermostat hooked up correctly so that you don't burn or even kill your boa.

Keep in mind that there is probably a reason he wants out of his enclosure. What is the setup like? Thermal gradient? Humidity? Substrate? Hides? We need details on this. Is there a female boa or anything that he could be smelling?

Also, how bad is the noserub? You are short on cash, but you could pick up some chlorhexidine and make a solution to clean the area and then lightly apply some triple antibiotic to the area once a day or so for a few days. Don't use it too much. It'd be cheaper in the long run to buy a gallon of chlorhexidine gluconate concentrate on Amazon because it will last forever and you can use it to clean the enclosure, on wounds, and on your own cuts and scrapes. If you can't swing the $20 bucks for that, you could run to the drugstore and get some Hibiclens which is chlorhexidine as well. All that is assuming the noserub isn't that bad. If you post pictures I'm sure some of us can help you out.

Comment

Working...
            X