Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Respiratory] Plugged Nostril

Hi All,

I'm new to the site. My husband and I have had our Surinam Red Tail Boa for about 3 years now. He managed to escape on me twice in about a month and i think because its so dry in our condo he got an infection, one nostril is plugged and when i hear him exhale he makes a whistling sound out of his other nostril. Is there any way to treat it without going to a vet? Do i need raise the humidity and lower the heat maybe or vise versa? Help!

Thanks in advance =0)

Re: Plugged Nostril

first i would check for stuck on shed on the nose if there is stuck shed pull it off and turn up the humidity if not check his nose and mouth for any fluids or goo let us know

also need some details

what kind of tank
    set up
    temps/humidity
    substrate
    ect ect

PS Welcome you will love it the is site is awesome and one thing we love is PICS!!! so lots of them

Comment

Welcome to RTB.

First off, you should download the http://care.redtailboas.com/Ultimate Care Guides and read them. That has some really great info in it.

Next, we would like to know more about your set up/cage. Is it glass with screen lid, or plastic tub? What substrate are you using, and what are your temps and humidity? The more info the better.

Is the snake blowing bubbles out of his nose? Do you see mucus on his tongue or around his mouth? Also would be a good idea to check for mites.
      Mites can lead to URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). If he has URI, a vet visit is needed to administer antibiotics.

It could also be just a stuck shed. Just trying to cover all the bases LOL.
      A warm, not hot bath would also help since he has been out and it is dry.
      Let him soak in the tub for a half hour or more. That is also a great way to find mites if he has them.

Keep us up dated. We will do what we can to help

Comment

He shed a while ago with no problems so I don't think its that and we've never had any shedding issues with him at all.
        He is in a glass tank with a wire top. i keep a heavy towel on top wet and his humidity is being held at about 55-60. His hot side is at about 85 and cooler is side is roughly 72 (i'm having a hard time bringing that side up a bit). We use carefresh pet bedding its environmentally friendly and biodegradable and free of pine and cedar oils. i haven't been taking him out as much because my condo is pretty dry so i figure its best to just keep him in his tank as much as possible. When i took him out a few days ago trying to get a better look at his nose i noticed that he did have some saliva coming out of his mouth a bit but no bubbles out of his nose. i'm not sure if their behavior changes when they are sick kinda like what we do but he is very coherent and reacts to my movement when he's looking out of the cage. i feed him frozen rats and his next feeding will be in about 10 days or so he doesn't eat too often this time of year.
        i attached a couple pics of him they are kinda old though and a pic of his setup, sorry if its crappy i only have a cellphone camera right now lol
        i will give him a bath tonight and see how that goes.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info and sharing the pics. He is a really nice looking boy!

To help keep the cool side warmer, you could put some card board on the back and sides of the tank. That will help insulate it. Some people even put tin foil over the card board.

Keep us up dated. The saliva coming out of the mouth may be a sign of URI.
          If you could use a soft spatula, the kind for baking, gently pry his mouth open. If you see mucus, discoloration, or bubbles get him to the vet. Boas tend to hide it if they are sick, so by the time we realize something is wrong, they have been sick for a while.

Comment

wow that is an AMAZING suri really nice boa

but if there is actually stuff coming out i would consider taking it to the vet AND if you think its RI drop the humidty because the high humidty FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND is really bad for a RI if someone can advise both of us with and answer

Comment

thanks for the compliments!

i should note too that when i took him out and saw the saliva he was moving around alot as i was trying to look at his nose (it was really hard lol) and it seemed when he worked harder to get free from my hands that is when i saw the saliva come out. when he's just laying around not doing to much nothing comes out. not sure if that means anything or not but i figured it wouldn't hurt to post it

Comment

Actually, you do want to raise the humidity. I know the care guide says to lower it and for the longest time people have said to lower it, but it can actually worsen a respiratory infection. Snakes cannot cough so keeping a higher humidity helps keep secretions thin so they can drain and not solidify in the respiratory system. You need to open this snake's mouth and see the color and condition of his gums, if there is any mucus around his glottis, etc. Respiratory infections can get bad quickly and often a vet visit is required. Ideally a culture is done to see what bacteria is causing the infection and then they test that against different antibiotics and find the ones that are most effective. Some vets treat blindly, but its not ideal, however sometimes there are financial constraints. I can say taht I keep my snakes between 82-92 give or take a degree with the ambient temps being around 80. Glass aquariums are not good enclosures for boas so I would be trying to upgrade as soon as you are able as you will always be fighting with the humidity and temperature gradient. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dren07 View Post
                  thanks for the compliments!

i should note too that when i took him out and saw the saliva he was moving around alot as i was trying to look at his nose (it was really hard lol) and it seemed when he worked harder to get free from my hands that is when i saw the saliva come out. when he's just laying around not doing to much nothing comes out. not sure if that means anything or not but i figured it wouldn't hurt to post it
                  To me that just sounds like a bit of spit up. My Albino must have just been drinking before I picked him up one day and he spit a bunch of water/saliva. If you say he was struggling at the time and you haven't seen it since then it's most likely just what I described, however it still could be an RI symptom as you are noticing funny sounds. I think I was talking about this with DIRTY_SHOOTER in chat the other day and he was saying I had accidentally discovered a good way to help remove some of the buildup when there is an RI (hold him so that his head is pointed down toward the floor and just let gravity and the snakes motion pull some of that junk out) He had discovered this technique the same way after one of his snakes spit up. If the stuff smelled really bad, like so bad you question whether or not life is really worth it, then it probably came from his gut and not his lungs.

Mat.

Comment

well i gave him a bath (he hated it lol) and it looks like it loosened up whatever was in his nose as i can't see anything in there but i think its still plugged a little deep down. when he exhales he whistles a little out that one not as much as before i don't think. so i will make an appointment tomorrow to see a vet (i'll let them open his mouth i'm too scared ). i checked for mites and we are all clear

Comment

Awesome to hear no mites.
                      I am also glad to hear your taking him to the vet too. Keep us posted.

Comment

He's a really beautiful Suri , it sounds like he's at the beginning stages of an R.I.

Like Joley said you want to raise your temp and raise your humidity as well

The Temp is an absolute must even if he's put on Antibiotics

Hopefully this is just dust and stuff stuck in his nose causing whistle sound
                        but I'm fairly certain its a Respiratory problem

Lar M
                        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Well I finally have an appointment with a vet, he goes on Wednesday. I would have made one earlier but it was -30 to -40 for almost two weeks here and i didn't want to move him in that as its dry enough inside and then he started to shed. Yesterday he had a plugged nostril again, the stuff on his nose was all clear so i gave him another bath and it seemed to help alot and break most of it up. He shed over night and when i got home i took him out and he sounds 100% better so the shed must have done most of the work but I'm still taking him to the vet on wednesday, its only $70 for the visit but i think it will be worth it. I'm also going to try to feed him tomorrow and see how that goes. he hasn't been showing me the signs that he's hungry (unless he does them when i'm not home) but its about that time he should eat.

On a side note, my husband told me to feed him two rats. he's eating the jumbo sized ones, is it a good idea and if so how do you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by dren07 View Post
                            Well I finally have an appointment with a vet, he goes on Wednesday. I would have made one earlier but it was -30 to -40 for almost two weeks here and i didn't want to move him in that as its dry enough inside and then he started to shed. Yesterday he had a plugged nostril again, the stuff on his nose was all clear so i gave him another bath and it seemed to help alot and break most of it up. He shed over night and when i got home i took him out and he sounds 100% better so the shed must have done most of the work but I'm still taking him to the vet on wednesday, its only $70 for the visit but i think it will be worth it. I'm also going to try to feed him tomorrow and see how that goes. he hasn't been showing me the signs that he's hungry (unless he does them when i'm not home) but its about that time he should eat.

On a side note, my husband told me to feed him two rats. he's eating the jumbo sized ones, is it a good idea and if so how do you do it?
                            I don't think you should feed two rats, if he is sick then he'll have to spend twice the energy digesting instead of fighting the illness. Personally if there was any concern of illness I wouldn't feed him at all till the vet had their say.

Mat.

Comment

Working...
                            X