Eddie's Scale Rot: Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Eddie's Scale Rot: Update

I will post pics when I can... The battery in my camera is dead, and I need to switch the telephoto lens for the standard lens so that I can shoot the photos.

But I just wanted to give an update on my DH Sunglow's scale rot.

As many of you now he arrived on November 17 from the breeder with the onset of scale rot. He had several spots over his body with the worst being a spot about the size of my pinkie nail on his ventral scales about 2 inches before his vent. I cleared out all substrate, replaced it with paper towels, raised his temps, and began to treat with 50/50 peroxide water, 2% chlorhexidine solution, and trip. antibiotic ointment.

Within 48 hours the scales had become increasingly discolored and the beginning signs of a blister could be seen on one scale. I took Eddie to the vet and was prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream, and told to continue the chlorhexidine cleansing (no systemic antibiotics were required).

One week later all affected areas looked dried out and were not showing any further signs of increased discoloration or expansion in size. Eddie was also showing the initial signs of entering shed cycle.

After two weeks three of the spots were lighter in color, And Eddie was taking on the milky blue appearance of a snake in shed. I still continued treatment.

This evening (December 6) I came down to find Eddie in the process of shedding. Overall it was progressing well except for a area about 2 inches long on his back that did not shed properly. Once he was done I helped him along with the remaining unshed spot. I examined all affected areas to see how the shed had helped in the healing process... Not a single spot of discoloration remained! Not even on his ventral scales! With one exception there is no sign of there ever being an infection. The ventral scales, though they are now their normal color have a slight texture to them showing that there was damage, but it's very slight, and if I hadn't known where to look I would have missed it. I anticipate that this will be remedied by the next shed.

So, on a whole Eddie has made a stellar recovery! I plan on keeping him on dry paper towels for a couple more weeks, and he will remain in quarantine for another 30 days (or until his next shed). I will continue to monitor him for quite a while to make sure the scale rot doesn't re-surface, but I'm very pleased with his progress!

I'll post photos soon ("before and after") once the battery's charged and I switch the lenses.

...And for those with a discerning eye: yes, I changed the spelling of Eddie's name. It was for personal reasons.

Re: Eddie's Scale Rot: Update

Congrats, good job! However, keep a close eye on it. I had a ball python several years ago that had a bad case of scale rot, it would start to clear up and then come back with a vengence. That was 20 yrs ago though, I think now we know how to deal with it better than we use to.

Comment

very nice!!! I'm happy to hear everything is looking good. And def post some pics of Eddie!!

Comment

Mike I believe you must have done a stellar job of caring for Eddy's scale Rot.

For him to make this quick of a recovery the fact that you caught and
        started treating it immediately didn't hinder the process for certain.

This is a good feeling for you I bet Mike

This is so good to hear that Eddy is on the mend ,

I'm really glad Mike !!

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

That's good to hear. I am glad things are working out!

Comment

That is great news and I am happy for you.

Comment

Thanks guys. Although as elated as I am I don't feel 10% out of the woods yet. After a few months of no re-occurrences I'll be satisfied that this is behind us. And upon re-examining his ventral scales they are showing more damage than I thought last night. So once those are completely healed I'll be feeling much better as well. ...Of course they may always be scared, and might very well look like this for the rest of his life, but I'm hoping to see some improvement with the next shed.

OK here are some pics showing the progression of the infection:

Photo taken within 15 minutes of arrival (November 17). At this point I had only noticed the ventral scales.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Approx. 48 hours later (had been treating ventral scales when I began to notice spots elsewhere). Ventral scales discoloration was spreading, and a blister can be seen forming.

One week after treatment:

This morning (December 7) after completing shed (on December 6) and a little over two weeks of treatment.

Scale damage is visible on ventral scales, but discoloration is gone.

No visible scale damage, and discoloration is gone.

As much as I feel cautious I feel pretty ****ed good about this.

Comment

You are doing a stellar job Mike! I am very glad Eddie ended up with you, so he can get the much needed care he deserves. He is going to be a great looking healthy boa in a few years, you just wait and see!

Comment

Thanks, Jonny.

Comment

When all is said and done, he will be your # 1 in your collection since you nursed him to health.

Comment

great job getting him better!! he looks loads better already

Comment

Thanks, guys.

And he does look much better. His entire shed was a nasty brown/yellow color as opposd to the typical clean white-ish. Not sure if it was because of the treatment (which I don't see how since I was spot treating the infection), or a side efect of his being ill, but his color really sings now! One pretty little DH Sunglow! ...Just as he should be.

I'm still monitoring, and will continue to do so.

I just wanted to say, "Thanks" to everyone one here who offered input and support while I was treating Eddie. You guys rock!

Comment

Working...
                        X