Lazy snake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Lazy snake

ok i have a 6-9 month red tailed boa kept in a 60 gallon setup. i monitor temp and humidity perfectly, he eats like a champ, sheds perfectly, and has a great "jungle" to party in. BUT he has this favorite spot in the enclosure where he spends ALL his time. its right in the middle of the cage, therefore right in the middle of the temperature gradient (about 80-85). hes picked a spot on the "forest" floor and not in the branches.

QUESTION: is this a health concern? do i have a lazy snake? or is this just the perfect setup and of all the places he could be he chooses this spot?

thanks for any advice!

Re: Lazy snake

First of all---welcome to RTB!

Second--where on the Gulf Coast are you located--I'm there too!

Next, the ultimate care guide on this site has tons of great information on just about anything you could possibly ask.

I'm not as experienced as most people on here but it seems as though even though your setup is quite large for that size snake--if he is eating, shedding and going to the bathroom as he should, he's picking the part of the cage that he is most comfortable in. Oh, and they generally don't like to be in the branches (although some really do like to climb--I have two that love it).

Lastly, we LOVE pictures...
    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

most red tail boas are not arboreal. so generally they prefer the ground.

Comment

first off thanks for the warm welcome and speedy replies. Im located in Houston, TX. and from what ive gathered from yalls information and the comprehensive care guide i've decide i've got a happy snake!

and ill sure get pictures posted soon, i must admit hes a gorgeous animal and i'd love to show him off!

Comment

where in houston do you live I live just north of houston in kingwood.

Comment

im currently in the medical center but will be moving to Sugarland in the next few months. nice to meet a fellow herp lover.

Comment

oh nice it is nice to see a fellow person of the area here. well you will learn a lot here

Comment

got any pics?

Comment

Working...
                X