No announcement yet.

Back from the vet.....again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Health-General] Back from the vet.....again.

Well another $150 to another vet, this guy was way better. I should of known not to go to the other one. He said I should feed her puree mice. Ever put mice in a blender? Not a sight I want to see or do again. I have her a few squirts down the throught along with the new antibiotic. She was 312 grams and lost 32gr. In less than a month so I think its best if I try to feed her a little right? Anyway, I got here a new bigger hide, under tank heat pad to help her unwind from her big ordeal.

Re: Back from the vet.....again.

Originally posted by SWOMPDONKEY View Post
    He said I should feed her puree mice. Ever put mice in a blender? Not a sight I want to see or do again.
    wow... that's... i don't even know what to say about that. yuck. hope it was an old blender...

good luck with the little one...

Comment

GOOD LUCK...Sounds darn gross "Rat Smoothie" But you gotta do what you gotta do.....

I live in miami..where did you find the Vet...My freind used to work for one that had no experience with snakes and still treated them.....He was terrible

Oh yeah by the way I heard its better to go out and buy a rabit then its easy to debone and puree the meat...since it has more lean meat and your not including any of the gutts...just pure meat

Comment

Never done that one before. I have used a mixture of turkey baby food, reptile calcium powder, and a few drops of vegetable oil. Hope your boa gets better soon.

Comment

Its not my blender, but ya the hair was awful trying to suck up in a syringe. I had to add water I dont think ill be doing it again, I poped off the lid and felt like...barf.

Comment

Should of used a "Pinky Pump".lol
            Life would of been alot easier. But I'm glad he's on the up n up.
            Pinkie Pump

Comment

Its not my blender, but ya the hair was awful trying to suck up in a syringe. I had to add water I dont think ill be doing it again, I poped off the lid and felt like...barf.
              The "not my blender" made me bust a gut....I would choose to use the mother-in-laws...LOL....

Want me to teach you how to skin a rat?....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by davenkelly

If there was ever any doubt that you are a hill-jack, that comment laid it to rest. lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont think ill will skin a rat any time soon, or ever. I shouldve took pics of the blender, just the sight and smell was almost enought to make me hurl. I had to add water to get the **** off the side of the blender to mix properly. But it was all worth it to know she has a little bit of chum in her belly to digest, the rest is in the fridge for tomorrow. And I wont do it again unless I absolutely have to. Heres a pic. I had to take out her branches to make room for new hide. She'll grow into it....lol
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davenkelly View Post
                    The "not my blender" made me bust a gut....I would choose to use the mother-in-laws...LOL....

That's exactly what I was gonna say

You need to skin that little "Effer" / "F'er"

Lar M
                    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Hopefully everything works out for you. That's a very pretty snake you have there... best of luck man.

Comment

Today I tried a tiny bit of organic baby food (peas). But for tomorrow im going to try to add some turkey like that one guy said and maybe some roast beef and blend that with the baby food. Sound like a good idea? or maybe fish? I could get feeder goldfish and try to put some in her mouth or throat.????????

Comment

Well another $150 to another vet, this guy was way better. I should of known not to go to the other one. He said I should feed her puree mice. Ever put mice in a blender? Not a sight I want to see or do again. I have her a few squirts down the throught along with the new antibiotic. She was 312 grams and lost 32gr. In less than a month so I think its best if I try to feed her a little right? Anyway, I got here a new bigger hide, under tank heat pad to help her unwind from her big ordeal.
                          First, "puree mice"..... Not what you're suppose to feed a non-eating snake.

Second, you shouldn't be trying to "feed" your boa until it's finished taking the antibiotics.

You don't feed puree mice, becuase you want the "easiest" possible food your snake can get. You want it to be as "digestable" as possible. That means, hair is a no-no. Also, your snake isn't a "thin" snake. It's missed a meal or two and lost some weight. Of course, the weight lost could have been from it passing urates/fluids.
                          You haven't said the "exact" proceedure you're using for feeding your boa. It sounds to me like.... Something is a bit off, that is, if your vet said "puree mice" is what to feed her.
                          Most vets will suggest a canned "reptile diet". They want the whole "sterile" food thing going while a snake is recovering from an illness. I know Science Diet used to make one, but that wasn't exactly the best for feeding either.
                          Organic Peas.... That's really not a good thing to feed your boa.

I use a recipe that's in the Ball Python Manual.
                          It's a jar of baby food (chicken)
                          A jar of Pedialite (a baby food jar)
                          1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
                          1 "Tums" crushed (I'm guessing it supplies calicum and helps settle their stomach)
                          This recipe has worked very well for the 2 that's I've had to feed. BTW I didn't "feed" my boas until it was a matter of "they're going to die if I don't do something", so feeding is more of a "last resort". It shouldn't be used, just because they lost a few grams.

Now,
                          Feeding your boa while it's still sick.... Well, boas don't eat when they're sick. They don't eat for a reason. I'm not "exactly" sure why they won't eat while sick. Maybe, they just don't feel good. Maybe, they just have no appetite. Maybe.... and this is a definate "MAYBE".... It's because they're having "excess fluids" coming out of their lungs. I know you said that your boa had "mucus". Well, mucus can clog the breathing tube. Also, in "feeding" your boa, you might be sending some of this fluid to her stomach. I don't know if this would cause problems, becuase I've never fed a "sick boa". You need to allow her time to get her over her illness and let the antibiotics do their job. Then worry about getting her to eat. You want your boa to be as stress free as possible. "Feeding" will definately stress them out.

BTW Did your vet tell you that you "needed" to be feeding your boa??
                          Did your vet "suggest" that it was OK to feed your boa?? Or...

Did you decide it was time to feed her, because she had lost a little weight??

You really didn't make it clear as to why you started "feeding" her.

BTW Going by the picture, she looks to have pretty good weight. She seems active and not in need of "feeding". At least, not forced feeding.

One more thing I should mention.... With force feeding or what every type you're doing.. If you don't do it "exactly" correctly.. You can actually kill your snake. That's why it's normally a "last resort" thing to do.

Comment

OK, for 1. We both (the vet and I) thought it would be best if she ate. It wasnt a few grams she lost she weighd 312g. and lost 72g. You can feel her ribs and everything...OK. THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT LOSS FOR A BABY BOA. Im not the one to wait till she about to die before I try to do something(***)? Its better to help the problem before it becomes a huge problem. Now the vet suggested baby food as well as the mice. He said squash, I choose peas for the higher protien.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                              I use a recipe that's in the Ball Python Manual.
                              It's a jar of baby food (chicken)
                              A jar of Pedialite (a baby food jar)
                              1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
                              1 "Tums" crushed (I'm guessing it supplies calicum and helps settle their stomach)
                              I use almost the same recipe. I use turkey instead of chicken and I use the off brand that I get from Walmart (I found that it had more protein and less fat). I also use reptile calcium but the tums is a great idea! I have never used the Pedialite mixed in although I have given a dehydrated boa pedialite before so I may have to try mixing this into the food as well. I have used this on boas and corn snakes as well and it has saved several of my snakes, although I too always waited and used this as a last resort. I have used it on a boa that had gotten so weak and skinny that she could barely keep her head up. I fed her this mixture every 3-4 days increasing the amount just a little every time. After a couple of weeks she had regained some weight and enough strength to eat on her own. Another thing to remember with feeding your boa like this is that less is sometimes better. You want to start with a very small amount and gradually increase the dose. You don't want your snake to regurge again because it will just set you back.

As far as the peas and squash go, I haven't heard of using them but I'm sure there are many different ways to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X