Tip of tail lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Medication] Tip of tail lost

My mom just got a younger red tailed boa (he’s just over a foot long) that was not being taken care of well by his previous owner. He shed either right when my mom got him (about a week ago) or just before. The tip of his tail had not shed, and from the look of it, it hadnt shed for some time.

My mom wasnt concerned, but I was. I looked up info and proceeded to try and soak his tail to get the skin off. The tip of his tail sadly came off. I’m sure it feels much better now, but there is still a thin ring of unshed skin where the break happened.

I’ve left it alone for now as I dont want to cause him any more discomfort - its pretty clear its tender right now as he keeps pulling his tail away, but hes very friendly and gentle despite the lack of proper human contact, he let me mess with it with very little fuss - but I’m worried about the end becoming infected. Its not bleeding (which tells me the tip has been dead for some time and the rest has mostly healed), but there is a red spot.

Can I apply a tiny amount of human antibiotic to keep infection away? His cage is clean and he just recently ate, so theres no concern about him sliding through fecal matter.... but all the same.

If I can, how much do I apply and how often should I?

If I cant, is there anything I can do for him?

Thank you so much!

Re: Tip of tail lost

Hi and welcome to the forum....well the tip came off probably due to the lack of blood circulation resulting in the death of that tissue...

Leave the rest of it alone it should come off in the next shed

for now...

remove all the substrate...Which is what on the floor of the cage...

Put down paper towels

apply a little of neosporin (antibiotic ointment) with a cotton swab

it should heal just fine...If you do observe an infection then you need to take him to the vet

and from now on make sure that he has at least 60% humidity in his cage...

and since I see that you are new hear I want to refer you to the Ultimate care guide rof Boas...Its free and has tons of useful info...including emergency in-home remedies

Care Guide

Comment

I knew it was lack of circulation, which is why I tried to soak the skin off in the first place. It actually came off while I was doing this.

Again, he isnt/wasnt bleeding - it looks like the tip has been dead for some time, its mostly healed now from the looks of it. There is no sign of infection, thankfully.

He doesnt seem bothered at all by any of this. He still likes to be held and still wants out of his cage.

Should I still put down paper towels?

I'm glad to know I can put a little neosporin on his tail if need be, thank you!

And thank you for that guide, I will definitely give it to my mom.

Comment

Originally posted by ACWN-Designs View Post
        I knew it was lack of circulation, which is why I tried to soak the skin off in the first place. It actually came off while I was doing this.

Again, he isnt/wasnt bleeding - it looks like the tip has been dead for some time, its mostly healed now from the looks of it. There is no sign of infection, thankfully.

He doesnt seem bothered at all by any of this. He still likes to be held and still wants out of his cage.

Should I still put down paper towels?

I'm glad to know I can put a little neosporin on his tail if need be, thank you!

And thank you for that guide, I will definitely give it to my mom.

yeah still put down paper towels for a while...for sanitary reasons

you can also use Hydrogen peroxide and betadine

Comment

yes still take up all the substrate until it is COMPLETELY healed keep us updated please i'm sure everything will work out

BTW WELCOME!!!

Comment

Okay, thank you! It'll have to wait till my mom gets home so one of us can hold the snake while the other cleans his lil tank.

It only happened just this morning. I had posted on another board and didnt hear anything all day so I finally went looking for another site for help and found this forum, thankfully.

And thank you so much for the warm welcome! I'll be sure to give this forum to my mom so she can come here when she has any questions.

Thanks again, guys! I'll keep you updated.

Comment

good luck with the new boa.

Comment

WOW it prolly happened fromloss of blood circuklation por little guy tho. Taks some pics please not to be crule just to see where he lost it and to show the boa off

Comment

but a little neosporen on it and clean the enclosure and lay down some paper towels or something that wont irritate the raw part. good luck!

Comment

How much of the tail tip came off? You need to be very careful of infection as there isn't generally a lot of circulation to that area anyway and once infection enters it can spread up the tail and body rather quickly. Sometimes these need to be amputated farther up by a veterinarian to remove all the dead tissue.

I would refrain from using hydrogen peroxide as it disrupts the fibroblast bed laid down by healing tissue and can greatly slow the healing process. Betadine diluted 1:100 is a great choice, but chlorhexidine gluconate is much better. You can buy a whole gallon of concentrate on Amazon and you only mix a little at a time. Be very careful about how much triple antibiotic you put on as it can cause debris to stick to the area and also "smother" it again slowing healing.

Comment

It was the very end of it, about a 1/4 of an inch, if that. I've only put a little antibotic on his tail and have laid down a layer of paper towel in his cage. He's perfectly happy to lay on it. I havent used any antibiotic in the last couple of days.

His tail has a nice scab on it. I'm not feeling any infection heat and he reacts when I lightly touch the end of his tail where the scab is by pulling away, so he still has feeling in it.

He is still very active and friendly. He just eliminated, so the papertowels were switched out and he's ready to feed again. I think he's doing okay.

Comment

Working...
                      X