Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Respiratory] Noisy breath

I don`t know how to call this...
    My boa is making those short lasting sounds through her nostrils. It`s for a while..
    Its only when I handle her, in fact it`s when she`s gripping to something.
    She has no bubbles visible, she never does.
    Sometime ago I could see her laying steady with her head rised in the air for a while.
    Is this something to worry about??

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Re: Noisy breath

Just to add, temp is always around 78 in the cool end & 87-93 in the hot-spot, humidity between 40 and 50 now,during the winter and heating season, but in every other season it stays from 50 to 65.

Anybody knows something `bout this?

Comment

As long as your boa is eating/drinking/pooing/shedding ect "normally"... He's probably fine.

The cool end temps are a little on the low side. If you can, you should raise them to 80 to 82 degrees. The ambient temps should be around 85.

If your boa is in shed cycle or is due to shed soon, that "could" be the cause for the noisy breathing. Sometimes, the nostrils can get a little clogged and they breath more loudly.

If you're seeing mucus/bubbles or feel a rattling in his lungs/chest. Then it's time to go to a vet. This are signs of a RI.

The thing is, "most" boas will go their entire life without ever getting sick. Unless they're exposed to an animal that's sick or kept at temps that are much to low, they just don't get sick. At least, I've never had one get an RI. BTW when I say, "much to low", I'm talking about 10 degrees lower than what they should be. In my book that's "much to low". For younger snakes, 5 degrees could be "much to low". So, keeping proper temps is "very" important.

Comment

Ya its probably shedding time! Well thats what my snake does. Actually right now, so check her belly scales and if any black is bluish or her eyes a blue shes gonna shed real soon.

Comment

Another sign of it being a respiratory issue will be small audible clicks when your snake is exhaling, often bubbles are not visible through the nostrils but if you open the mouth a little you can see excess saliva around the gums.

I wouldnt worry about your snake, the description you gave us does in fact sound a lot like others have said, your snake is probably about to shed.

Comment

She shed her skin few days ago, so I`ll listen to her breathing these days.

Thank you all.

Comment

well i also have a problem like this. i just bought 2 female redtails. one is a yearling and the othere is an adult around 6-7 feet long. the thing that is different in mine are that there nostrills look completly blocked of by unsheded skin so they breath out of there mouths. it looks like they both will shed in the next few days tho so should the skin come off on its own or should i do something else like try pulling it off or go see a vet?

Comment

I would give them a nice long bath to loosen any stuck on shed. Mabe gently rub the left on skin with a warm damp cloth.

Comment

Working...
                X