Well shedding problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Well shedding problems?

Ive posted this before but I thought it never slowed down at all. My snake sheds nonstop. She was underfed by a breeder,not kept to a minimum, but underfed. Now that ive had her on the right size of food regimen, hence she went from 1 medieum mouse(shes an 07), to 2, then after like 2 months to small rats. Is she just growing because of being on the right size? Making up for lost time? Any info again will be appreciated.

ps shes grown 10 inches in 8 moths since ive had her.

Re: Well shedding problems?

what do you mean by non-stop shedding? LIke how often?

Comment

Originally posted by RTB_luver View Post
      Ive posted this before but I thought it never slowed down at all. My snake sheds nonstop. She was underfed by a breeder,not kept to a minimum, but underfed. Now that ive had her on the right size of food regimen, hence she went from 1 medieum mouse(shes an 07), to 2, then after like 2 months to small rats. Is she just growing because of being on the right size? Making up for lost time? Any info again will be appreciated.

ps shes grown 10 inches in 8 moths since ive had her.
      How many times has she shed, since you've had her??

It sounds like she's getting some good growth. It could just be that she's grown fast and needs to shed.

Any pictures??

Comment

Shedding has to do with the growth so if she s growing at a fast rate then she will shed more often, I have a cornsnake that i feed a mouse to weekly and inbetween my kids catch lizards to feed her. She shed twice in a month, but thats when shes fed heavy. So with growth there will be shedding and with feeding theres growth maybe sh has some catching up to do since she was underfed, IMO. I also have 2 rtb my female sheds once a mnth if longer and my male albino mnthly twice so far but once right after the other but I saw a growth spurt in him so growth = shed. Any one here can chime in to agree or rebut.

Comment

My advice is to track her shedding for the next 3 cycles and let us know. Sometimes it "seems" like they are shedding really often, but when you put it to the calendar, it's nothing abnormal - just a fast growing snake.

Or if you have that information recorded - let us know the dates or number of days between shed so we can better understand the situation.

Comment

She sheds like every 3 weeks but grows alot each shed, shes shed 9 times out of the 8 months ive had her! Ive only ever accidentaly overfed her. And i fed her 1 asmall rat and my dad came in and gave her a mouse.

Comment

Dosn't really seem to abnormal, her growth was probably stunted before and now shes healthy so she's growing. How big is she?

Comment

She is now about 40"

Comment

She is an 07 and 40 inches, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I had a few corn snakes that I got really cheap because they were non feeders. After a couple months of feeding attempts I had to resort to syringe feeding and then on to pinkie rats. They blew up from that point and grew from hatchling size to over 30 inches in less than 9 months! Sometimes I think that a snake is genetically supposed to be a certain size and if it is underfed or the owner tries to "stunt" the growth, once the snake is back on a regular feeding schedule it will catch up. Maybe that is what is happening here with your boa. Try to do like others have said and document the sheds. Every 3-4 weeks for a growing boa isn't too abnormal.

Comment

Working...
                  X