No announcement yet.

Albino health update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Health-General] Albino health update.

Hey, just wanted to say I think my baby albino is starting to get better. My new vet ran a test and turns out she has a bacteria that baytrill wont get rid of wich is why her RI came back so bad. He prescribed Enrofloxacin .10 ml once every day and now to go add Sulfamethoxazole .15ml once every day. Plus Chlorhexaderm for mouth wash once a day. She seems rather lazy today, not moving around much. Could this be a bad sign?

Re: Albino health update.

Originally posted by SWOMPDONKEY View Post
    Hey, just wanted to say I think my baby albino is starting to get better. My new vet ran a test and turns out she has a bacteria that baytrill wont get rid of wich is why her RI came back so bad. He prescribed Enrofloxacin .10 ml once every day and now to go add Sulfamethoxazole .15ml once every day. Plus Chlorhexaderm for mouth wash once a day. She seems rather lazy today, not moving around much. Could this be a bad sign?
    It's good to hear that your little girl is doing better.

So, did you vet take her off the Baytril, since it wasn't working??

Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, Baytril/Enroflaxcin is the same drug. So, did your vet take her off the Baytril and just put her on the Sulfamethoxaxzole, or is she still on both?

Is her mouth still not healed completely? Just wondering since he prescribed the Chlorhexaderm. Chlorhexaderm is a good product. I've never used in on a snake, but I've used it to clean out my cat's ears. It's active ingredient is Chlorhexadine. That's really good for killing bacteria and such.

Not sure if the being lazy is bad sign or not. I know Lethargic is bad, but not sure about lazy.

Any updated pics of your little girl? BTW She's got a KILLER tail on her and great overall contrast. You should show her off more often.

Comment

Ya its the samething just not name brand, I give her both at different times. This should clear up everything in a few weeks...I hope. She still wont have anything to do with a mice of ant size or oder.

Comment

Poor little girl..I wish you the best of luck...I would be going crazy

Comment

Sorry to hear about your snake being sick, but good to know you got it on the right track. Best of luck!

Comment

Wait a minute you were using Baytril (Enrofloxacin)

So that didn't work so now he (Vet) prescribes Generic Enrofloxacin again ??

That's just silly !!
            Last edited by Boa Amarali; 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM.

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

here is a post made by kelly haller on another Forum addressing
              medications to use

Kelly is extremely informed about medications and
              medical treatment with Reptiles

I believe he is a Vet or a Vet tech not certain on that

I suggest printing this below info and bringing it to your Vet on the next visit

I'm fairly certain there will be a next visit as Baytril (Enrofloxacin)

didn't work before it probably won't work now

Other choices for antibiotic treatment..

Posted by: kelly haller at Tue Jan 5 00:01:08 2010

Tylan, or tylosin, is a macrolide class antibiotic that is mainly effective against only gram positive bacteria. It has been used successfully to treat chronic RI in reptiles caused by bacteria of the genus Mycoplasma and possibly Streptococcus (rarely). Tylosin will usually work well only if the causative organism of the RI is Mycoplasma, otherwise it will usually be ineffective in resolving most other types of bacterial infections in reptiles. Tylosin is relatively non-toxic and has a wide margin of safety, and I have seen dosage recommendations running from 10 to 50 mg/kg body weight, however, I have not seen any formal clinical PK studies conducted with tylosin on reptiles, but Ross, and later Jenkins, has looked at it informally.

The vast majority of RI’s in boids are caused by gram negative bacteria species and these would require cephalosporin, fluoroquinolone, or aminoglycoside class antibiotics. You have already tried cephalosporin class (fortaz) and fluoroquinolone class (ciprofloxacin) antibiotics. While tylosin is a macrolide class antibiotic, and would only be effective on Mycoplasma bacteria species, it is worth a try. If you do not see any improvement in a week, and hopefully the infection is not too far advanced, you should try an aminoglycoside class antibiotic which is usually highly effective in these types of cases where apparent multiple antibiotic resistance is suspect. Amikacin would be the best choice from this class. It is typically dosed at 2.5 mg/kg at 72 hour intervals, however use this only under vet supervision.

The other issue with antibiotic treatment is proper environmental conditions for optimum effectiveness of any antibiotic regime. This would be 70 to 75% humidity and 90 degree cage temps 24/7 until recovery is complete. Also, always have fresh water that is easily accessible at all times. Good luck with her.

Kelly

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X