No announcement yet.

small sore on nose with stuck shed. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] small sore on nose with stuck shed. . .

ok, my female bci was rubbing on her cage a few weeks ago and developed a small sore on her head between the nostrils and eyes, about a 1/4inch square. Well, now she has shed, but that spot won't come off. I started to carefully help her, and I noticed it will pull up the scab. Should I leave it alone and see if it will come off naturally?? She just ate, so soaking is out of the question for at least a few days. I also cleaned her cage and put eco earth in there. She is still in her feeding tub because I didn't know if the eco earth would cause an infection, there is a small gap where the scab lifted. The tub is well ventilated, and sitting at 80F, so she will be cool in there for a while. What do you guys think??
    Thanks, Will

Re: small sore on nose with stuck shed. . .

Is it actual shed stuck or just scab? It's possible there might be small scarring anyways put yanking off the scab will for sure lead to a scar I think.

Throw some neosporin on the scab, ecspecially if it's exposed. Do this 2 times a day (when you wake up and sleep is fine). I suggest holding behind the head when you do it because they will try very hard to yank their head away. Just work it onthe area lightly don't just slap some goop on there or it's likely they'll nudge it off somewhere in the cage.

Comment

Yep its a scab leave it alone for now. Put some
      Neosporin type Antibiotic on there

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

well crap. overnight, she rubbed the shed and scab off!! now it shows a hole. I should leave her in the tub until it starts to heal right?? I just put eco earth coconut bedding in her cage, would that cause an infection if I put her in there?? For some reason when I attached pics, it said my file was too big. I reduced it down to 100x100. super small. so the pics are on my profile under "my collection". Thanks again.
        Will

Comment

Hi,

I kind of thought this would happen. It would be extremly hard to prevent the snake from rubbing that offwithout taping it in a bandage which is really impossible unless you taped the mouth shut.

I still recommend neosporin 2 times a day. It's going to leave a pretty good scar on that spot. It will fade some overtime, but not completly and not a whole lot of it.

I don't know much about coconut bedding -- but I would use newspaper until the next shed (it will heal slightly with every shed) just to make sure nothing funky gets in there -- it is a good sized hole.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. I have already put neo on there. I'll clean out the bedding an put the newspaper back in there. It's a bummer, cause it was going to be the first time using it with her. o well. thanks for your help.
            Will

Comment

Originally posted by THESURFER View Post
              well crap. overnight, she rubbed the shed and scab off!! now it shows a hole. I should leave her in the tub until it starts to heal right?? I just put eco earth coconut bedding in her cage, would that cause an infection if I put her in there?? For some reason when I attached pics, it said my file was too big. I reduced it down to 100x100. super small. so the pics are on my profile under "my collection". Thanks again.
              Will

It'll be OK I believe just put the Neosporin on

Newspaper or paper towels are good idea sorry missed that part

About the File its not the Pixel size (100 X 100 Pixels) that needs to be reduced

Its the File size meaning the picture file maybe 2.5 MB you need to
              compress it to probably 250 KB

There are free compression software offered as freeware and shareware

Paint.net is actually a pretty good compression software and its free

If you have Photoshop or Microsoft Office Both have compression functions
              Last edited by Boa Amarali; 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM.

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

i had a nose rub that developed some swelling. now i'm giving my boa fortaz (an anibiotic shot) every 3 days 110 bux later. newspaper probablly woulda been the wise decision as i kept him on the usual cypress mulch. keep an eye on the water bowl too. cleanliness next to godliness my friend.

Comment

Good advice. If it starts to look swollen as said above, clearly topical antibiotics aren't working and there is deeper infection and you need a vet. If you can get away with just husbandry adjustments and triple antibiotic then that's fabulous. Just to stress what Bryan said, don't glop it on, just a thin coat; the wound needs to breathe too.

Comment

Working...
                  X